Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Most Canadians indifferent to monarchy: poll

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Sep, 2022 10:01 AM
  • Most Canadians indifferent to monarchy: poll

OTTAWA - A new poll suggests that while many Canadians plan to watch Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral next week, the vast majority have not been personally impacted by her passing and feel no attachment to the monarchy.

The poll from Leger and the Association of Canadian Studies also found that while some Canadians are happy about King Charles III taking the throne and others are not, most are largely indifferent to Canada’s new head of state.

The results, which are based on an online survey of 1,565 Canadians polled between Sept. 9 and 11, are among the first to assess how Canadians feel about the monarchy since the 96-year-old Queen died last week.

Respondents were fairly split when it came to watching the Queen’s funeral, with 48 per cent saying they planned to tune into the ceremony when it is televised next Monday and the same percentage saying they would not.

Leger executive vice-president Christian Bourque said it appears many won’t be watching out of genuine affection for the monarch, who was also Canada’s longest-serving head of state.

That’s because only about a quarter of all respondents said they had been even moderately personally impacted by the Queen’s death, while nearly 75 per cent said they felt little to no impact at all.

“It's curiosity more than caring at this point,” Bourque said.

The survey results, which cannot be assigned a margin of error because internet-based polls are not considered random samples, suggested a lack of connection not only with the Queen, but also her heir and the monarchy as a whole.

Participants were asked whether they thought the accession of King Charles to the throne was good or bad news. While 15 per cent struck a positive tone and 16 per cent took the opposing view, 61 per cent said they were indifferent.

However, that apathy didn’t end with the new King as 77 per cent said they felt no attachment to the British monarchy. That compared to 19 per cent who did, and four per cent who did not know or preferred not to answer.

While respondents in Quebec were far more likely to harbour negative attitudes toward the monarchy than those in other parts of the country, Bourque said the results nonetheless showed a general sense of apathy about the Crown in Canada.

"It got me thinking over the past four days, there's nothing else on the news media than Elizabeth," he said. "Yet the majority of viewers don't really care."

Exactly why so few seem to care about the monarchy wasn’t clear, but Bourque pointed to the shrinking number of Canadians whose ancestors hailed from Britain as one likely explanation.

Canadians over the age of 55 were also more likely to hold positive views or attachments to the Queen and Crown, which Bourque said is a sign that when it comes to younger people, the monarchy is “losing its relevance in Canada.”

In deference to the Queen and those in mourning, Bourque said a conscious decision was made not to ask respondents whether it was time to end Canada’s link to the monarchy. However, he said future surveys will likely broach the subject.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada pushed to waive COVID-19 vaccine patents

Canada pushed to waive COVID-19 vaccine patents
Dr. Madhukar Pai, a Canada Research Chair in epidemiology and global health at McGill University, told the House of Commons foreign affairs committee today he doesn't think rich countries like Canada have learned a thing from the first two years of the pandemic. 

Canada pushed to waive COVID-19 vaccine patents

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP
Const. Richard Johns says 28-year-old Rykel Frank and 29-year-old Mitchell Frank will go before a judge this week following their arrest on Friday. 6 year-old Dontay Lucas was found dead in a home in Port Alberni in March 2018.

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement
The new Surrey Langley Skytrain public engagement begins Monday, May 9, 2022, and runs until June 9. Open houses for members of the public are scheduled for May 25 in Surrey and for May 31 in Langley. Surrey Langley SkyTrain is currently scheduled for completion in late 2028, two years earlier than first estimated.

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season
U.S. border officials also seem to be seeing more people trying to cross in the opposite direction. 6 Indian nationals were rescued from a boat sinking on the St. Regis River in northern New York late last month, part of what court documents allege was a human smuggling operation.

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed
While the investigation is still in the early stages, investigators confirm one person is in custody at this point. Although one person has been arrested, police continue to treat this investigation as active and ongoing to determine the circumstances, states Corporal Paige Kuz, Coquitlam RCMP Media Relations Officer.    

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend
VPD officers were called to Crab Park around 10.20 a.m. Saturday for reports of one man being assaulted. Andrew Wadden, a 45-year-old Vancouver resident, was found by police in the park with life-threatening injuries.

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend