Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mother orca and her children make 'grocery shopping' trip near downtown Vancouver

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 03:34 PM
  • Mother orca and her children make 'grocery shopping' trip near downtown Vancouver

A family of killer whales has made a rare trip into waters off downtown Vancouver for what an expert says was likely a "grocery shopping" hunt for harbour seals.

Video shared on social media by False Creek Ferries shows the whales cruising past highrise towers at the entrance to False Creek on Sunday.

Andrew Trites, director of the University of British Columbia's marine mammal research unit, has identified the whales as a family group of transient orcas consisting of a mother and her three offspring.

Trites said the video shows the whales moving quietly like "ghosts" to avoid alerting their prey.

The larger orcas appear bigger than the diminutive ferry, which measures about 20 feet long. 

"They're on the hunt, and so they don't want to make a big splash about it. They want to come in very stealthy-like, as though they weren't even there," said Trites. 

"I'm sure there were hundreds of people walking along the seawall that day and they didn't even notice and these people aboard the boat, they had a very special moment they will remember for the rest of their lives."

He said it's the first time the 26-year-old mother orca, known as T35A, has shown up in downtown Vancouver with her children aged six, 11 and 14.

Trites said the well documented family has previously been seen by marine researchers from Alaska to the Strait of Juan de Fuca south of Vancouver Island.

He attributes the pod's surprising downtown appearance to seals also changing their habits as they hide from orcas, forcing killer whales to hunt in backwater areas like False Creek.

Killer whales have previously been spotted in False Creek, including in 2019, and in 2010 a grey whale swam all the way to the end of the inlet, near Science World.

Trites said researchers are hearing more reports of killer whales being seen in places where they've never been seen before. 

He said the behaviour captured on the video suggests the whales didn't catch anything.

Trites said the sighting was an indication of the recovered health of the Salish Sea, saying it was "in a state that we haven’t seen it for over a century."

He likened it to living next to Tanzania's Serengeti National Park.

“It's a very healthy, vibrant system … we've seen humpback whales come back. We've seen our seal numbers recover and stabilize," he said.

"We see killer whales here every single day now and when I first came to B.C., I hardly ever saw a seal, never saw killer whales in here and it's all changed."

In 2021, the B.C. government estimated there were 206 "mature" transient orcas in the province's coastal waters, while U.S. authorities have put the total population at about 350.

The species is designated as threatened, meaning they are likely to become endangered without interventions.

But Trites said the population was growing, in association with the recovery of prey species, such as the Steller sea lion. 

As a marine researcher who has been through many encounters with killer whales, Trites said those aboard the ferry should feel privileged.

"They are magical experiences," he said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August
Home sales in Greater Vancouver fell 17.1 per cent in August from the same period last year, according to the latest statistics. Greater Vancouver Realtors says there were a total of 19-hundred-and-four homes sold in the region last month, down from almost 23-hundred last year.

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief
Chief Constable Adam Palmer says the suspect, a 34-year-old White Rock man, appears to be "very troubled" and police are looking into whether mental health was a factor in this morning's "horrific" attacks. He says the man, who had a history of assaulting police and social workers, was tracked down with the help of a drone and arrested at Habitat Island, near the Olympic Village.

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events
Parkland Corp. has released a review into an unplanned shutdown of its Burnaby, B.C., refinery in January that blanketed parts of Metro Vancouver with a foul stench. The review released last week says unusually cold weather triggered a series of events leading to the release of a noxious odour that generated more than 100 complaints from residents.

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Man sentenced in child pornography

Man sentenced in child pornography
A New Westminster man has been sentenced to 10 months in jail after pleading guilty to possession child pornography. Police say 51-year-old Scott Harrison was originally arrested in April 2020 after officers begun investigating a case of child porn being uploaded onto the Internet.

Man sentenced in child pornography

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks
Vancouver police say a man has been arrested after a pair of "unprovoked stranger attacks" in the city's downtown that left one man dead and severed another victim's hand. Chief Constable Adam Palmer says police believe the early morning attacks near the Queen Elizabeth Theatre were "completely random," and that such incidents "shake our collective sense of comfort and safety."

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has "ripped up" the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. In a video posted Wednesday afternoon, Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals