Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:21 PM
  • Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

The president of the company involved in the Mount Polley environmental disaster that poured millions of cubic metres of mine tailings into B.C. waterways 10 years ago says the material spilled wasn't toxic.

Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

But Imperial Metals president Brian Kynoch says the mine tailings were "benign," and the breach released traces of elements like copper and arsenic that are naturally occurring. 

Kynoch says no waters were poisoned by the spill, and testing showed that drinking water guidelines were not exceeded and fish numbers bounced back in the years following the spill. 

He says the company's lawyers have advised him not to speak publicly about the charges that Imperial is facing under the Fisheries Act, and Imperial Metals previously said after being charged that it did not intend to make public statements.

The Fisheries Act indictment says the companies' work "resulted in serious harm to fish that are part of a commercial, recreational or Aboriginal fishery.”

The catastrophic collapse of the tailings dam in the B.C. Interior sent about 25 million cubic metres of tailings from the copper and gold mine surging into waterways including Polley and Quesnel lakes on Aug. 4, 2014. 

Some scientists say there have been years of environmental impact at the site.

Greg Pyle, an aquatic eco-toxicologist and professor emeritus at the University of Lethbridge, has published research showing tiny invertebrates that form the basis of the aquatic food chain displayed elevated metal accumulation at sites affected by the spill, and he has called it one of the "most contaminated sites in the country."

Kynoch said in an interview that the physical damage caused by the tailings pond failure isn't in question, but he said water and fish testing data collected in the aftermath showed fears of toxicity didn't come to pass. 

"We've spent millions of dollars on testing and it's kind of like it's ignored," Kynoch said. "We haven't had a fish sample that didn't pass the test for it being edible." 

He said the company recognizes the cultural importance of fish to nearby First Nations, and "worked diligently" to keep them informed as they worked to remediate and reopen the mine. 

He said mining companies around the world, and particularly in B.C., are aware of the importance of relationships with local First Nations and local residents and to keep them "more involved in the process."

"No matter what we do, accidents can still happen," Kynoch said. "A lot of effort was put into tailings. … Anything we engineer, anything we design, no matter how much you do it, there's still risk and so we need to do all we can to mitigate the risk." 

Since the dam failure, Kynoch said the company successfully did a trial of "dry stacking" tailings at the mine, which means they're not subject to flowing away like those stored in liquid. 

He said the dry stacking method is an "evolution" of tailings storage. 

"They'll be more solid, I think, and lots of mines in the world are headed that way," he said. 

While he's constrained from speaking on the charges for alleged fisheries violations, Kynoch said the company didn't "run away" after the tailings pond failure.

"We stayed. We fixed the creek. We spent our money," he said. "I'm actually proud of that part of it. The fish are back there in the creeks and spawning."

"We faced the music and fixed up the creek from my perspective," he said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Montreal mayor, police chief say masks will delay arrests after violent protest

Montreal mayor, police chief say masks will delay arrests after violent protest
Montreal’s mayor and police chief both say it will take time to arrest everyone who smashed windows and burned cars during a demonstration outside a NATO conference on Friday evening, since most of them had their faces covered. Police have so far arrested three people in connection with Friday’s protest, and police Chief Fady Dagher says there will be more arrests. 

Montreal mayor, police chief say masks will delay arrests after violent protest

Mother orca and her children make 'grocery shopping' trip near downtown Vancouver

Mother orca and her children make 'grocery shopping' trip near downtown Vancouver
A family of killer whales has made a rare trip into waters off downtown Vancouver for what an expert says was likely a "grocery shopping" hunt for harbour seals. Video shared on social media by False Creek Ferries shows the whales cruising past highrise towers at the entrance to False Creek on Sunday.

Mother orca and her children make 'grocery shopping' trip near downtown Vancouver

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims
British Columbia is making disaster financial assistance available to victims of floodwaters that gushed through several communities when an atmospheric river dumped hundreds of millimetres of rain on parts of the province last month. The province says flood-affected residents of Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, the Squamish First Nation and North and West Vancouver are eligible.

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims

Defence Minister Bill Blair "ready to go faster" on spending timeline

Defence Minister Bill Blair
Defence Minister Bill Blair said Monday that he's ready to work with the incoming Donald Trump administration to speed up Canada's timeline to meet its NATO alliance spending targets. Canada committed last year to meet the NATO members' pledge to spend at least two per cent of GDP on national defence and in July Prime Minister Justin Trudeau committed to hitting that target by 2032.

Defence Minister Bill Blair "ready to go faster" on spending timeline

Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system

Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says further reforms to Canada's immigration and asylum systems will be proposed in the coming weeks. This comes on the heels of a significant cut to the amount of permanent residents being admitted to Canada in two years, and the tightening of rules around temporary worker permits. 

Miller to propose more changes to immigration and asylum system

Premiers seek 'urgent' meeting with Trudeau before Trump returns to White House

Premiers seek 'urgent' meeting with Trudeau before Trump returns to White House
Canada's premiers are asking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to hold an urgent first ministers' meeting ahead of the return to office of president-elect Donald Trump. The re-election of the often unpredictable and protectionist former president has spooked a number of countries as they wait to see if he makes good on promises of mass deportation of undocumented residents and across-the-board import tariffs.

Premiers seek 'urgent' meeting with Trudeau before Trump returns to White House