Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:21 PM
  • Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

The president of the company involved in the Mount Polley environmental disaster that poured millions of cubic metres of mine tailings into B.C. waterways 10 years ago says the material spilled wasn't toxic.

Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

But Imperial Metals president Brian Kynoch says the mine tailings were "benign," and the breach released traces of elements like copper and arsenic that are naturally occurring. 

Kynoch says no waters were poisoned by the spill, and testing showed that drinking water guidelines were not exceeded and fish numbers bounced back in the years following the spill. 

He says the company's lawyers have advised him not to speak publicly about the charges that Imperial is facing under the Fisheries Act, and Imperial Metals previously said after being charged that it did not intend to make public statements.

The Fisheries Act indictment says the companies' work "resulted in serious harm to fish that are part of a commercial, recreational or Aboriginal fishery.”

The catastrophic collapse of the tailings dam in the B.C. Interior sent about 25 million cubic metres of tailings from the copper and gold mine surging into waterways including Polley and Quesnel lakes on Aug. 4, 2014. 

Some scientists say there have been years of environmental impact at the site.

Greg Pyle, an aquatic eco-toxicologist and professor emeritus at the University of Lethbridge, has published research showing tiny invertebrates that form the basis of the aquatic food chain displayed elevated metal accumulation at sites affected by the spill, and he has called it one of the "most contaminated sites in the country."

Kynoch said in an interview that the physical damage caused by the tailings pond failure isn't in question, but he said water and fish testing data collected in the aftermath showed fears of toxicity didn't come to pass. 

"We've spent millions of dollars on testing and it's kind of like it's ignored," Kynoch said. "We haven't had a fish sample that didn't pass the test for it being edible." 

He said the company recognizes the cultural importance of fish to nearby First Nations, and "worked diligently" to keep them informed as they worked to remediate and reopen the mine. 

He said mining companies around the world, and particularly in B.C., are aware of the importance of relationships with local First Nations and local residents and to keep them "more involved in the process."

"No matter what we do, accidents can still happen," Kynoch said. "A lot of effort was put into tailings. … Anything we engineer, anything we design, no matter how much you do it, there's still risk and so we need to do all we can to mitigate the risk." 

Since the dam failure, Kynoch said the company successfully did a trial of "dry stacking" tailings at the mine, which means they're not subject to flowing away like those stored in liquid. 

He said the dry stacking method is an "evolution" of tailings storage. 

"They'll be more solid, I think, and lots of mines in the world are headed that way," he said. 

While he's constrained from speaking on the charges for alleged fisheries violations, Kynoch said the company didn't "run away" after the tailings pond failure.

"We stayed. We fixed the creek. We spent our money," he said. "I'm actually proud of that part of it. The fish are back there in the creeks and spawning."

"We faced the music and fixed up the creek from my perspective," he said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.
Canada is preparing retaliatory tariffs in response to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's threat to levy a 25 per cent import tax on all Canadian goods, and Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to withhold the province's energy, which it exports to five states.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death
Seven Vancouver police officers who were present when Myles Gray was beaten to death in August 2015 will face a public hearing into their conduct, B.C.'s police complaint commissioner says.  A statement issued Wednesday by Commissioner Prabhu Rajan said Gray died after police responded to a 911 call and used "significant forced to subdue and restrain him."

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM
Speaking on Tuesday night at an event hosted by the Equal Voice Foundation — an organization dedicated to improving gender representation in Canadian politics — Trudeau said there are regressive forces fighting against women's progress.

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved
More than 15,000 people received medical assistance in dying in Canada in 2023, but federal statistics show the growth in cases has slowed significantly. Health Canada says in its fifth annual report on MAID that the 15,343 people who received help to die last year represented a 15.8 per cent increase from 2022.

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police
A 42-year-old man from Surrey faces charges of impaired operation of a vehicle and operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol level over the legal limit.  The man is set appear in court in March, while he has also lost his driver's licence for 90 days and the truck was impounded for 24 hours.

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam
Police in Coquitlam say they have arrested a man they believe was involved in a series of alleged sexual assaults in the Metro Vancouver city. They say police are investigating a total of nine reports of the suspect inappropriately touching women while they were walking.

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam