Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Sheila Malcolmson has announced the project in the Vancouver Island community alongside Mayor Leonard Krog, and she says in a release that the aim is to provide services in existing supportive housing.

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver
They include a 70-year-old man who police say was tackled to the ground, a 33-year-old woman who was punched in the face and a 23-year-old woman police say had been stabbed.  

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status
The downgrading of the fires comes as Environment Canada issues heat warnings for Whistler, Squamish, Sunshine Coast, East Vancouver Island and Inland Vancouver Island.

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey
The police found the 47-year-old man having sustained life-threatening injuries. First responders performed emergency first aid, but the victim did not survive.  IHIT has now taken over the investigation. 

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey
The Canadian Medical Association's national physician health survey, released Thursday, indicates that 53 per cent of respondents reported symptoms of burnout, including emotional exhaustion. The reported burnout rate among doctors was 1.7 times higher than it was in the association's previous survey in 2017.

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium
Apart from this, the mayor announced at the groundbreaking ceremony that he will be building the largest stadium in Canada. "Part of our commitments is that we're going to say as part of our SSC is we are going to build a 60,000 person arena in Surrey“. 

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum says he is going to build a 60,000 person stadium