Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada-India trade agreement needed: biz groups

Canada-India trade agreement needed: biz groups
The Business Council of Canada and the Canada India Business Council released a report on Thursday that looks at Canada’s current trading relationship with India and the economic benefits that would come from establishing a trade agreement.  

Canada-India trade agreement needed: biz groups

Canadian military to train Ukrainian forces in UK

Canadian military to train Ukrainian forces in UK
Canada is sending military trainers to the United Kingdom to help teach Ukrainians how to fight invading Russian forces. Defence Minister Anita Anand announced the plan on Thursday, saying up to 225 Canadian Armed Forces members will eventually be based in Britain for an initial period of four months.

Canadian military to train Ukrainian forces in UK

BC's anti-gang task force issues a public safety warning about 11 men with ties to gangs

BC's anti-gang task force issues a public safety warning about 11 men with ties to gangs
Majority of these men have been identified of South Asian heritage and are in the age range of 20s-30s. The CFSEU-BC points out that these gangsters are transient so it is of vital importance that the anti-gang task force collaborate with other agencies.   

BC's anti-gang task force issues a public safety warning about 11 men with ties to gangs

Man scammed while searching for a rental property online

Man scammed while searching for a rental property online
In three separate instances, the identity theft victim was contacted directly by potential renters regarding his Craiglist ads. One of these potential renters even sent copies of a fake driver’s licence and a fake passport which had been sent to the potential renter as part of the Craiglist scam.

Man scammed while searching for a rental property online

Lawyer denies child pornography claim in Todd case

Lawyer denies child pornography claim in Todd case
Joseph Saulnier told the jury in Aydin Coban's B.C. Supreme Court trial Wednesday there was evidence that a video titled "AmandaTodd.wmv" was played on a device seized from his client's home, but it was not stored as a data file.

Lawyer denies child pornography claim in Todd case

B.C. boosts rebate for electric vehicles

B.C. boosts rebate for electric vehicles
The price cap to determine eligibility for vehicle rebates in B.C. remains at a maximum of $55,000 for compact and full-sized cars, but the Energy Ministry statement says a second category is being added to support those requiring larger EVs, such as soon-to-arrive minivans, sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks.

B.C. boosts rebate for electric vehicles