Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Sep, 2024 10:22 AM
  • NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has ripped up the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. 

In a social media video posted Wednesday afternoon, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

"Canadians are fighting a battle.  A battle for the future of the middle class.  Justin Trudeau has proven again and again he will always cave to corporate greed," Singh said in the video directly addressing Canadians. 

"The Liberals have let people down. They don’t deserve another chance from Canadians."

Singh and Trudeau reached the agreement in March 2022, committing the Liberals to implement several NDP priorities such as dental care and pharmacare, in exchange for the NDP caucus supporting the Liberals on key votes like budgets.

The NDP had been re-evaluating the deal since Aug. 22, the day Labour Minister Steve MacKinnon asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose binding arbitration to end a work stoppage at Canadian Pacific Kansas City and Canadian National Railway that paralyzed Canada's transportation networks.

The request came just 24 hours after the two companies locked out their workers after failing to reach a contract deal at the bargaining table.

This week Singh called the government's decision to intervene "a line in the sand that was crossed."

NDP's labour critic Matthew Green told The Canadian Press earlier this week that as Canada's only labour party the NDP has a responsibility to take "bold steps" to ensure there's support for workers and their families, and others who are "struggling in this economy."

The decision doesn't mean the government automatically falls at the next confidence vote. Rather, the NDP will determine how to vote on Liberal legislation on a case-by-case basis.

Singh said there is another "bigger battle ahead," noting the threat of cuts from the Conservatives under their leader Pierre Poilievre if the party wins the next election.

"The fact is, the Liberals are too weak, too selfish and too beholden to corporate interests to fight for people. They cannot be change, they cannot restore the hope, they cannot stop the Conservatives," he said.

"But we can."

He said his party will deliver hope and relief, fix health care, build homes and stop price gouging.

Many of the affordability measures the Liberals have brought in over recent years, including dental-care benefits, one-time rental supplements for low-income tenants and a temporary doubling of the GST rebate, were NDP priorities. Some came about exclusively as a result of the deal.

New Democrats also used the deal to push forward a ban on replacement workers during a strike or lockout at federally regulated workplaces.

The two parties also negotiated a housing accelerator fund that allocated billions of dollars to help build more than 750,000 homes across Canada.

House Leader Karina Gould said Aug. 26 that she expected the deal to run until its end, which was to be June 2025. Her office reiterated those remarks Tuesday, after Green's interview.

Poilievre held a press conference calling for Singh to break the deal. He blamed him for selling out workers by signing onto a "costly coalition" that he says puts Singh and Trudeau ahead of Canadians. 

National opinion polls suggest Poilievre's stance on workers rights and the economy is resonating with Canadians. He continues to hold a substantial lead in polls ahead of Liberals and New Democrats. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza
Canada has negotiated with Israel and Egypt to get approximately 600 people through the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt, as of the last update from Global Affairs. The only people who qualify are Canadians, Canadian permanent residents and people who meet the government's strict definition of an eligible family member, though there have been exceptions.

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock
Mounties in White Rock confirm shots were fired in the city earlier today. No injuries were reported, but police say they suspect the shooting was targeted. Police are investigating a motive.

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne announced this fall that Canada's major grocers — Loblaw, Metro, Empire, Walmart and Costco — had shared plans to tackle rising prices that included discounts, price freezes and price-matching campaigns. However, questions swirled about what exactly the grocers promised, given the details of the plans were not being shared publicly.

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions
Vancouver’s fire department is showing off what the city says is Canada’s first electric fire engine.  The Austrian-built pumper truck is part of the city’s commitment to reduce fleet emissions by moving to electric vehicles when they need to be replaced. Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim says the fire engine represents an important milestone and the city is proud to be the first in Canada to lead the way with its firefighting fleet. 

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions

CBC says it is cutting 600 jobs, some programming

CBC says it is cutting 600 jobs, some programming
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. and Radio-Canada will eliminate about 600 jobs and an additional 200 vacancies will go unfilled as it contends with $125 million in budget pressures. The public broadcaster says CBC and Radio-Canada will each cut about 250 jobs, with the balance of the layoffs coming from its corporate divisions like technology and infrastructure.

CBC says it is cutting 600 jobs, some programming

Canada proposes new methane emissions rules for oil-and-gas sector

Canada proposes new methane emissions rules for oil-and-gas sector
The controlled release or burning of methane from oil and gas production sites will be almost entirely barred by 2030 under proposed regulations outlined Monday by Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault. The proposed regulations seek to implement a new target to cut methane leaks and releases from the oil and gas industry by at least 75 per cent over 2012 levels by 2030.   

Canada proposes new methane emissions rules for oil-and-gas sector