Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Netflix says it will not turn over 'sensitive' data to CRTC

Darpan News Desk Canadian Press, 23 Sep, 2014 11:05 AM

    Netflix says it will not turn over confidential subscriber information to Canada's broadcast regulator in order to safeguard private corporate information.

    The video streaming company was ordered last week to provide the data to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission by the end of the day Monday.

    It was also told to hand over information related to the Canadian content it creates or provides to subscribers.

    The CRTC issued its demands during public hearings on the impact of Netflix and other online video providers on the country's traditional TV broadcasting sector.

    A Netflix spokeswoman says while the company has responded to a number of the CRTC's request, it is not "in a position to produce the confidential and competitively sensitive information ordered by the commission due to ongoing confidentiality concerns."

    Anne Marie Squeo says in a statement issued Monday night that the CRTC's orders are "not applicable" to Netflix under Canadian broadcasting law.

    But she says the company is "always prepared to work constructively with the commission."

    Netflix has argued that regulating the Internet to boost Canadian content would only hurt consumers, and that the CRTC should let market forces decide what people can watch.

    CRTC spokeswoman Patricia Valladao said the commission was not prepared to comment on Netflix's decision at this time, adding she wasn't aware if the regulator had received notice of it in writing.

    Valladao said the panel behind the order would have to discuss its next steps but couldn't say whether a statement would be issued Tuesday.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Group decries possible use of executed Chinese prisoners in bodies display

    Group decries possible use of executed Chinese prisoners in bodies display
    TORONTO - The possible use of corpses from executed Chinese prisoners for a public display as part of an exhibition in Ontario merits a criminal and coroner's investigation, a human-rights group is asserting.

    Group decries possible use of executed Chinese prisoners in bodies display

    B.C. Government Will Not Enter Binding Arbitration To End Teachers' Strike

    B.C. Government Will Not Enter Binding Arbitration To End Teachers' Strike
    VANCOUVER - British Columbia's government has turned down a proposal to try to end the province's teachers strike, rejecting a suggestion to enter into binding arbitration.

    B.C. Government Will Not Enter Binding Arbitration To End Teachers' Strike

    Jim Prentice Wins Alberta Tory Leadership And Will Be Next Premier

    Jim Prentice Wins Alberta Tory Leadership And Will Be Next Premier
    The 58-year-old former Calgary MP handily defeated former provincial cabinet ministers Ric McIver and Thomas Lukaszuk in a vote overshadowed by computer and phone foul-ups that left some members saying they were unable to cast a ballot

    Jim Prentice Wins Alberta Tory Leadership And Will Be Next Premier

    Rob Ford Publicly Addresses Decision To Enter Rehab, Says Only He Made Decision

    Rob Ford Publicly Addresses Decision To Enter Rehab, Says Only He Made Decision
    TORONTO - Rob Ford says the decision to enter rehab this year was his and his alone. The Toronto mayor brought up his decision to enter an Ontario rehab facility during a speech to at a business conference in Toronto on Saturday.

    Rob Ford Publicly Addresses Decision To Enter Rehab, Says Only He Made Decision

    Nine-year-old Boy Steals Saskatoon City Bus, Smashes Second Bus And Parked Car

    Nine-year-old Boy Steals Saskatoon City Bus, Smashes Second Bus And Parked Car
    SASKATOON - A nine-year-old boy has a lot of explaining to do after taking a city bus for a joyride in Saskatoon.

    Nine-year-old Boy Steals Saskatoon City Bus, Smashes Second Bus And Parked Car

    Canadian Ebola mobile laboratory team heads back to Sierra Leone

    Canadian Ebola mobile laboratory team heads back to Sierra Leone
    TORONTO - Canada is sending its mobile Ebola laboratory back into action in Sierra Leone. The Public Health Agency of Canada says the team left on Saturday to resume running a lab that supports an Ebola treatment centre in Sierra Leone.

    Canadian Ebola mobile laboratory team heads back to Sierra Leone