Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Brunswick Begins Talks With Ottawa On Funds For Flood Relief And Mitigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2019 06:43 PM

    FREDERICTON — The premier of New Brunswick says he's working with the federal government to provide financial relief to homeowners affected by this year's spring flood.


    Blaine Higgs met with the federal finance minister Wednesday morning and says Bill Morneau was receptive to what's needed for flooding relief and future mitigation.


    Higgs says he knows quite a few cottages — especially around Grand Lake — have been damaged by the floodwaters, but the government's priority will be for repairs to primary dwellings.


    The premier says the amount of assistance has not been determined, but he says the government will provide advance funds to allow people to begin repairs right away.


    During last year's record flood the province provided up to $4,000 in advance funding, but Higgs says he wants to increase that to about $15,000.


    Higgs says an emphasis must be put on mitigation, including restrictions on building on flood plains, and raising some highways and roads that had to be closed.


    He said a priority would be the Trans-Canada highway where the flooding forced the closure of a section between Oromocto and Riverglade for an entire week.


    The highway reopened Wednesday.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Quebec Man Charged After Bus Carrying Passengers Makes Unplanned Trip

    Quebec Man Charged After Bus Carrying Passengers Makes Unplanned Trip
    A man is facing charges including vehicle theft and impaired driving after an intercity bus loaded with passengers made an unscheduled departure from Trois-Rivieres, Que., Wednesday night.

    Quebec Man Charged After Bus Carrying Passengers Makes Unplanned Trip

    Bruce McArthur Linked To 3 Missing Men Years Before He Was Charged With Murder: Docs

    Newly released court documents show Toronto police linked serial killer Bruce McArthur to three missing men with ties to the city's gay village years before he was charged with killing them and five others.

    Bruce McArthur Linked To 3 Missing Men Years Before He Was Charged With Murder: Docs

    PICS: Giving Hearts Gala Raised $200,000 For Langley's ER

    Langley Memorial Hospital Foundation, in association with Foundation Board members Balraj Mann and Manjit Gill, hosted over 300 guests at a new fundraising event, Giving Hearts Gala.

    PICS: Giving Hearts Gala Raised $200,000 For Langley's ER

    Roopesh Rajkumar Accused Of Killing 11-Year-Old Daughter Riya Rajkumar Dies In Hospital, Police Say

    Roopesh Rajkumar had been hospitalized with what police described as a self-inflicted gunshot wound since shortly after his arrest.

    Roopesh Rajkumar Accused Of Killing 11-Year-Old Daughter Riya Rajkumar Dies In Hospital, Police Say

    Classes Cancelled At Private Delta, B.C. School Following Double Stabbing

    Classes have been cancelled at a private elementary school in Delta, B.C., following the stabbing of an off-duty police officer and a woman on Wednesday.     

    Classes Cancelled At Private Delta, B.C. School Following Double Stabbing

    Missing Surrey Woman RAJWINDER BAINS Found Dead, Homicide Detectives Called In

    THE Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) is requesting public assistance to further its investigation into the death of 38-year-old Rajwinder Bains of Surrey.

    Missing Surrey Woman RAJWINDER BAINS Found Dead, Homicide Detectives Called In