Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

New building to replace B.C. residential school

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Apr, 2021 06:10 PM
  • New building to replace B.C. residential school

A former residential school building in the remote British Columbia community of Lower Post will be demolished and replaced after decades of lobbying efforts by local Indigenous leaders.

The federal and B.C. governments say construction on a new, $13.5-million project is set to start in June and expected to be complete by next year.

B.C. Premier John Horgan, federal Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller and area Indigenous leaders, including Deputy Chief Harlan Schilling of the Daylu Dena Council at Lower Post, made the announcement today during a virtual news conference.

Horgan says he was moved to work with the federal government to replace the residential school building after local elders told him during a visit that some people feared stepping inside the place where they suffered physical and sexual abuse.

The building has been serving as the Daylu Dena Council's band office, a post office and employment centre for the estimated 175 residents of the community, located near the B.C.-Yukon border.

Schilling says it's been devastating knowing the hurt many elders have been holding inside over the years but the building's demolition will finally bring some relief.

MORE National ARTICLES

CERB repayment demand scrapped for some

CERB repayment demand scrapped for some
They'd been told that to qualify for the CERB they had to have earned at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months before they applied.

CERB repayment demand scrapped for some

China shouldn't host 2022 Olympics: Annamie Paul

China shouldn't host 2022 Olympics: Annamie Paul
Paul says the International Olympic Committee, along with Canada and other countries that condemn human rights violations in China, should find another venue.

China shouldn't host 2022 Olympics: Annamie Paul

Training PSWs to cost $38.5M over two years: PBO

Training PSWs to cost $38.5M over two years: PBO
Parts of the country have faced dire staffing shortages in long-term care homes, where COVID-19 outbreaks have strained resources and caused thousands of deaths.

Training PSWs to cost $38.5M over two years: PBO

Land borders to need negative COVID-19 test result

Land borders to need negative COVID-19 test result
Trudeau says the new measure will kick in Feb. 15, the latest move to keep COVID-19 from spreading within Canada from people who travelled outside it.

Land borders to need negative COVID-19 test result

13 new deaths over 3 days

13 new deaths over 3 days
“There are 3,976 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. There are 234 individuals currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 69 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation“. 

13 new deaths over 3 days

Investigators need your help to identify an assault suspect

Investigators need your help to identify an assault suspect
Upon arrival, police located two victims who had been assaulted by an unknown man. Both victims were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Investigators need your help to identify an assault suspect