Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

New building to replace B.C. residential school

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Apr, 2021 06:10 PM
  • New building to replace B.C. residential school

A former residential school building in the remote British Columbia community of Lower Post will be demolished and replaced after decades of lobbying efforts by local Indigenous leaders.

The federal and B.C. governments say construction on a new, $13.5-million project is set to start in June and expected to be complete by next year.

B.C. Premier John Horgan, federal Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller and area Indigenous leaders, including Deputy Chief Harlan Schilling of the Daylu Dena Council at Lower Post, made the announcement today during a virtual news conference.

Horgan says he was moved to work with the federal government to replace the residential school building after local elders told him during a visit that some people feared stepping inside the place where they suffered physical and sexual abuse.

The building has been serving as the Daylu Dena Council's band office, a post office and employment centre for the estimated 175 residents of the community, located near the B.C.-Yukon border.

Schilling says it's been devastating knowing the hurt many elders have been holding inside over the years but the building's demolition will finally bring some relief.

MORE National ARTICLES

Economy lost 213,000 jobs in January, StatCan says

Economy lost 213,000 jobs in January, StatCan says
The unemployment rate rose 0.6 percentage points to 9.4 per cent, the highest rate since August.

Economy lost 213,000 jobs in January, StatCan says

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident
Corey Hurren, a Manitoba military reservist and sausage-maker, faced 21 weapons charges and one of threatening the prime minister.

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau
Canada had previously said three million people could be vaccinated by the end of March and another 10 million by the end of June.

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines
Oxfam Canada and the ONE Campaign say it is wrong for the federal government to agree to accept almost 1.9 million doses of vaccine from the COVAX Facility by the end of June.

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift
Henry said they have concerns about the new and faster-spreading variants of COVID-19 in other jurisdictions and they don't want them to spread in B.C.

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.
Sgt. Frank Jang says Kenworthy is known to police and the shooting was targeted, but it's not yet known if it was gang related.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.