Thursday, October 6, 2022
ADVT 
National

New COVID-19 outbreak at Prince Rupert facility

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Apr, 2021 04:42 PM
  • New COVID-19 outbreak at Prince Rupert facility

Just weeks after a deadly COVID-19 outbreak ended at a northwestern British Columbia care home, health officials report a new outbreak at the same facility.

Northern Health says two residents at Acropolis Manor in Prince Rupert have tested positive for the virus.

In a statement issued Sunday, the agency says the two residents live in the facility's west pod and proactive testing is underway to identify if any other residents, staff or families have been infected.

Sixteen residents died during a COVID-19 outbreak that began at Acropolis Manor in mid-January and was declared over on March 16.

Some of the highest rates of the virus in B.C. prompted health officials to hold mass vaccination clinics in Prince Rupert and Port Edward last month, immunizing about 85 per cent of area adults.

Recent data from the B.C. Centre for Disease Control shows infection rates dipped following those clinics and several others in north coast cities, but cases of COVID-19 remain stubbornly high through the region.

MORE National ARTICLES

Five million Canadians now have at least one dose

Five million Canadians now have at least one dose

The number of people vaccinated with at least one dose topped five million as of Thursday morning, leaving about 27 million people over 16 still needing a first dose.

Five million Canadians now have at least one dose

Canada-U.S. dispute emerges over whale's death

Canada-U.S. dispute emerges over whale's death

Fisheries and Oceans Canada issued a statement Wednesday saying it had determined the gear, retrieved after a whale known as Cottontail was found dead on Feb. 27, likely came from an American inshore fishing boat.

Canada-U.S. dispute emerges over whale's death

Ontario going into 4-week 'shutdown'

Ontario going into 4-week 'shutdown'

Citing the need for drastic action, Ford said the change will take effect Saturday and continue for at least four weeks.

Ontario going into 4-week 'shutdown'

U.S. union leader: 'Canada is not the problem'

U.S. union leader: 'Canada is not the problem'

United Steelworkers international president Tom Conway issued a joint statement with Canadian counterpart Ken Neumann aimed at making Canada's case for an exemption from Joe Biden's "Buy America" regulations.

U.S. union leader: 'Canada is not the problem'

Three Vancouver hotels bought to house homeless

Three Vancouver hotels bought to house homeless

The province says it is spending about $75.5 million to buy the Patricia Hotel and two properties on Main Street.

Three Vancouver hotels bought to house homeless

Mask discrimination case tossed by B.C. tribunal

Mask discrimination case tossed by B.C. tribunal

The warning is contained in a screening decision published Wednesday as tribunal member Steven Adamson addresses what he describes as a large volume of complaints alleging discrimination related to mask requirements.

Mask discrimination case tossed by B.C. tribunal