Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

New program to protect farm workers from COVID-19

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Oct, 2020 08:24 PM
  • New program to protect farm workers from COVID-19

Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says some Canadian farmers can now apply for emergency funding to protect their workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The program will subsidize farms' purchases of personal protective equipment and sanitary stations and it will help to cover extra costs in cases of any COVID-19 outbreaks.

The government will cover 50 per cent of the costs under the program and 60 per cent if the farm is owned by women or youths.

"Our government will continue to support farmers and (food) processors," Bibeau said Monday.

"They are key partners in Canada sustainable economy recovery."

Farmers in Saskatchewan, Alberta, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon and the Northwest Territories can apply.

Bibeau says the government will announce programs that will be managed by the other provinces in the coming weeks.

The $35-million program was announced at the end of July to help with the costs of infrastructure improvements, workstations and living quarters.

The program will be applied retroactively to cover any COVID-19-related costs between March 15 and the end of February.

Bibeau says the program can apply equally to Canadian or migrant farm workers and it will prioritize farms at the highest risk of COVID-19 outbreaks.

The number of workers and the amount of space they have in their workplaces and housing facilities will be key elements in identifying high-risk farms for COVID-19 outbreaks, Bibeau says.

Last month, the government launched a $77.5-million program to help Canadian food processors to respond to the safety needs of their workers.

Bibeau says the new program is built to support temporary foreign workers on farms too.

"We are strengthening the employer inspections regime and developing improved employer-provided living accommodation requirements for migrant workers," she said. "We care deeply about the well-being of migrant workers."

MORE National ARTICLES

Hail, floods in Alberta cause nearly $2B in damages

Hail, floods in Alberta cause nearly $2B in damages
A storm that hit the Calgary, Drumheller, Airdrie and Strathmore areas on July 24 topped $135 million with over 10,000 claims.

Hail, floods in Alberta cause nearly $2B in damages

Tory asks feds, province for more help

Tory asks feds, province for more help
In a statement today, Tory says there is "increasing concern" among business leaders and others about "the future of downtowns in major cities across Canada."

Tory asks feds, province for more help

COVID-19 hits B.C.'s finances hard: government

COVID-19 hits B.C.'s finances hard: government
The report projects B.C.'s budget deficit will balloon to almost $13 billion for the 2020-21 fiscal year.

COVID-19 hits B.C.'s finances hard: government

WATCH: Tips to Fight Back to School Anxiety with Dr. Bal Pawa

WATCH: Tips to Fight Back to School Anxiety with Dr. Bal Pawa
Darpan's Social Media Host chats with Dr. Bal Pawa an Interegrative physician, a sought-after Tedx speaker and author of 'The Mind-Body Cure ' on how to help your child navigate back to school with COVID19 anxiety.

WATCH: Tips to Fight Back to School Anxiety with Dr. Bal Pawa

N.B. leaders prepare for final exchange

N.B. leaders prepare for final exchange
Liberal party leader Kevin Vickers has accused Higgs of having a secret plan to cut health services.

N.B. leaders prepare for final exchange

WE shutdown won't silence controversy

WE shutdown won't silence controversy
Two months before the government gave the contract to WE in late June, Angus notes that the organization had laid off hundreds of staff and replaced almost its entire board of directors, which had been denied access to the charity's financial reports.

WE shutdown won't silence controversy