Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

New program to protect farm workers from COVID-19

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Oct, 2020 08:24 PM
  • New program to protect farm workers from COVID-19

Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says some Canadian farmers can now apply for emergency funding to protect their workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The program will subsidize farms' purchases of personal protective equipment and sanitary stations and it will help to cover extra costs in cases of any COVID-19 outbreaks.

The government will cover 50 per cent of the costs under the program and 60 per cent if the farm is owned by women or youths.

"Our government will continue to support farmers and (food) processors," Bibeau said Monday.

"They are key partners in Canada sustainable economy recovery."

Farmers in Saskatchewan, Alberta, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon and the Northwest Territories can apply.

Bibeau says the government will announce programs that will be managed by the other provinces in the coming weeks.

The $35-million program was announced at the end of July to help with the costs of infrastructure improvements, workstations and living quarters.

The program will be applied retroactively to cover any COVID-19-related costs between March 15 and the end of February.

Bibeau says the program can apply equally to Canadian or migrant farm workers and it will prioritize farms at the highest risk of COVID-19 outbreaks.

The number of workers and the amount of space they have in their workplaces and housing facilities will be key elements in identifying high-risk farms for COVID-19 outbreaks, Bibeau says.

Last month, the government launched a $77.5-million program to help Canadian food processors to respond to the safety needs of their workers.

Bibeau says the new program is built to support temporary foreign workers on farms too.

"We are strengthening the employer inspections regime and developing improved employer-provided living accommodation requirements for migrant workers," she said. "We care deeply about the well-being of migrant workers."

MORE National ARTICLES

Positive COVID-19 tests at two Calgary-area schools

Positive COVID-19 tests at two Calgary-area schools
Meadows Ridge School in Okotoks, south of Calgary, did not open as planned Tuesday after a staff member was diagnosed with COVID-19.

Positive COVID-19 tests at two Calgary-area schools

N.S. mass shooting memorial to be removed

N.S. mass shooting memorial to be removed
The councillor for the Portapique area, Tom Taggart, said today the roadside shrine — festooned with flowers, cards, posters and stuffed animals — will be removed this weekend.

N.S. mass shooting memorial to be removed

NDP takes aim at youth minister over WE deal

NDP takes aim at youth minister over WE deal
NDP ethics critic Charlie Angus says government documents released last month show Chagger was instrumental in connecting WE with federal officials and developing the now-defunct Canada Student Service Grant program.

NDP takes aim at youth minister over WE deal

Vaccine only way back to normal: Tam

Vaccine only way back to normal: Tam
"Widespread vaccine uptake is the best shot Canadians have of regaining some of what we've lost," said Tam.

Vaccine only way back to normal: Tam

WATCH: India's COVID-19 cases continue to rise, Canada seals deal with Novavax for vaccine, Canucks play GoldenKnights tomorrow

WATCH: India's COVID-19 cases continue to rise, Canada seals deal with Novavax for vaccine, Canucks play GoldenKnights tomorrow
India sees its biggest surge in COVID-19 cases. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announces deal with Novavax, Inc. and Johnson & Johnson, Care Inspires Care to secure millions of potential COVID-19 vaccines. The Vancouver Canucks are back on the ice tomorrow after a dismal performance against the Vegasgoldenknights over the weekend as NHL playoffs continue.

WATCH: India's COVID-19 cases continue to rise, Canada seals deal with Novavax for vaccine, Canucks play GoldenKnights tomorrow

Eight Greens expected on final leadership ballot

Eight Greens expected on final leadership ballot
Green Party officials said Monday they anticipate eight people will be able to hit Tuesday's deadline to submit another $20,000 and make it onto the ballot for the party's leadership vote in October.

Eight Greens expected on final leadership ballot