Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered For Saskatchewan Lovers Convicted Of Plotting To Kill Spouses

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2018 12:53 PM
  • New Trial Ordered For Saskatchewan Lovers Convicted Of Plotting To Kill Spouses
REGINA — Saskatchewan's top court has ordered a new trial for a man and woman convicted of conspiracy to murder their spouses.
 
 
Three Court of Appeal judges unanimously agreed that a trial judge erred in his charge to the jury that convicted Curtis Vey and Angela Nicholson in 2016.
 
 
The jury heard that Vey, who is from Wakaw, and Nicholson, who is from nearby Melfort, were having an affair.
 
 
They were arrested after Vey's wife made a secret recording of the pair plotting to kill her and Nicholson's husband.
 
 
Court heard Vey's wife was to die in a house fire and Nicholson's husband was to be drugged and disappear.
 
 
The Appeal court said in its decision Wednesday that the judge did not make it clear the jurors must be satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that both accused intended to commit murder.
 
 
"When the police interviewed Mr. Vey after his arrest, and in his conversations with the undercover officer in his cell, he maintained that he knew or suspected his wife was recording him on July 1, 2013, and said he had engaged in the murder conversation to give his wife and family something to talk about," said the Appeal decision.
 
 
"He also said that all Ms. Nicholson and he had were 'discussions' with no intention to commit murder."
 
 
The court also noted that, in order to have a conspiracy, at least two people must be involved.
 
 
"The jury should have been instructed that if they were satisfied that Mr. Vey did not intend to agree to carry out the common purpose, or if they had a reasonable doubt as to his intention, not only would they be required to acquit Mr. Vey, they would also be required to acquit Ms. Nicholson," said the court.
 
 
Vey and Nicholson were each sentenced to three years in prison. They were released on bail pending their appeal.
 

MORE National ARTICLES

Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash

Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash
VANCOUVER — Prominent British Columbia business leader Nick Geer has been killed in a car crash in California.

Nick Geer, Businessman And Former Head Of ICBC, Dies In California Car Crash

B.C. Coroner To Release 2017 Figures Today On Overdose Deaths

B.C. Coroner To Release 2017 Figures Today On Overdose Deaths
VANCOUVER — Health officials and the Coroners Service of British Columbia are expected to release the total number of overdose fatalities in 2017 today, while the current death toll already exceeds records.

B.C. Coroner To Release 2017 Figures Today On Overdose Deaths

Police Set Up Tip Line To Find Source Of B.C.'s Largest Forest Fire In 2017

Police Set Up Tip Line To Find Source Of B.C.'s Largest Forest Fire In 2017
CLINTON, B.C. — RCMP say they're looking for help in finding the source of a human caused wildfire that burned nearly 2,000 square kilometres of forest, brush and buildings in British Columbia last year.

Police Set Up Tip Line To Find Source Of B.C.'s Largest Forest Fire In 2017

ICBC In 'Financial Dumpster Fire,' Major Reforms Needed: David Eby

ICBC In 'Financial Dumpster Fire,' Major Reforms Needed: David Eby
VANCOUVER — Major reforms are on the way to extinguish a "financial dumpster fire" at British Columbia's public auto insurer, which projects a $1.3-billion net loss this fiscal year, the province's attorney general said Monday.

ICBC In 'Financial Dumpster Fire,' Major Reforms Needed: David Eby

Lawyer: Expel 'Dirty Dancing' Foreigners From Cambodia

Lawyer: Expel 'Dirty Dancing' Foreigners From Cambodia
Two Canadian women — Eden Kazoleas, 20, and Jessica Drolet, 25 — are among the foreigners detained. Global Affairs Canada said it was providing consular services to the Canadians in Cambodia.

Lawyer: Expel 'Dirty Dancing' Foreigners From Cambodia

Lawyers File Class-action Lawsuit For Former Patients At Indian Hospitals

A statement of claim filed in Toronto says Indigenous patients suffered consistent physical and sexual assaults at the 29 hospitals from 1945 until the last one closed in 1981.

Lawyers File Class-action Lawsuit For Former Patients At Indian Hospitals