Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP Unveils Universal Pharmacare Plan, Aims Program Delivery By The End Of 2020

NDP is promising to bring in a universal and comprehensive national pharmacare program targeted to begin in 2020 if the party wins the next federal election.

NDP Unveils Universal Pharmacare Plan, Aims Program Delivery By The End Of 2020

B.C. Cider Week Puts Spotlight On Province's Growing Cider Industry

B.C. Cider Week Puts Spotlight On Province's Growing Cider Industry
Rachel Bolongaro was sitting at her desk one day in 2013 when she asked herself, "Do I want to be an engineer for another 20 years?"  

B.C. Cider Week Puts Spotlight On Province's Growing Cider Industry

New Carbon Tax Starts Coming In For 4 Provinces That Fought The Federal Plan

New Carbon Tax Starts Coming In For 4 Provinces That Fought The Federal Plan
The federal tax is $20 a tonne for this year and is set to increase by $10 annually until it reaches $50 a tonne in April 2022.

New Carbon Tax Starts Coming In For 4 Provinces That Fought The Federal Plan

Doug Ford Slams Federal Carbon Tax That Takes Effect In Four Provinces Today

TORONTO — Ontario Premier Doug Ford says there's no reason to believe Canadians will recoup the cost of the federal carbon tax that takes effect today.    

Doug Ford Slams Federal Carbon Tax That Takes Effect In Four Provinces Today

Alberta NDP Promises Balanced Budget Later Than UCP, But Says UCP Math Is Wrong

Alberta NDP Promises Balanced Budget Later Than UCP, But Says UCP Math Is Wrong
Alberta NDP Leader Rachel Notley promised to balance the province's budget by 2023-24 as she unveiled her party's election platform Sunday

Alberta NDP Promises Balanced Budget Later Than UCP, But Says UCP Math Is Wrong

Caitlan Coleman Details Night She Fled From Estranged Husband Joshua Boyle

Coleman and Joshua Boyle were kidnapped together in Afghanistan in 2011 and spent years in captivity before being freed by Pakistani forces and returned to Canada in October 2017.    

Caitlan Coleman Details Night She Fled From Estranged Husband Joshua Boyle