Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Homeless Deaths More Than Doubled In British Columbia In 2016, Coroner Says

VANCOUVER — The number of homeless people who died in British Columbia more than doubled in 2016 compared with the previous year, and the majority died of drug overdoses or alcohol poisoning.

Homeless Deaths More Than Doubled In British Columbia In 2016, Coroner Says

Independent Probe After Man Falls From Window While Fleeing Vancouver Police

Independent Probe After Man Falls From Window While Fleeing Vancouver Police
VANCOUVER — A man has fallen from a third floor window in Vancouver, suffering injuries described by police as life-threatening.

Independent Probe After Man Falls From Window While Fleeing Vancouver Police

Trudeau Says Canada Still Welcomes Immigration Despite Plan To Beef Up Border

Trudeau Says Canada Still Welcomes Immigration Despite Plan To Beef Up Border
MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada remains welcoming to newcomers even as his government takes steps to curb the influx of asylum seekers coming into the country at unofficial entry points.    

Trudeau Says Canada Still Welcomes Immigration Despite Plan To Beef Up Border

Vancouver Police, Other First Responders Train For 'Active Deadly Threat'

The Vancouver Police Department is working with the city's firefighters, paramedics and emergency communication provider to create what it calls a rescue task force capable of responding to active deadly threats.

Vancouver Police, Other First Responders Train For 'Active Deadly Threat'

'Families Torn Apart:' Trucker Jaskirat Singh Sidhu Who Caused Broncos Crash Likely To Be Deported After Sentence

An immigration lawyer says the truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash in Saskatchewan is likely to be deported to India right after he serves his sentence.

'Families Torn Apart:' Trucker Jaskirat Singh Sidhu Who Caused Broncos Crash Likely To Be Deported After Sentence

Humboldt Broncos Crash: Truck Driver Jaskirat Singh Sidhu Sentenced To 8 Years

The Truck Driver Who Caused The Humboldt Broncos Crash That Killed 16 People And Injured 13 Others Last April Has Been Sentenced To Eight Years. 3  

Humboldt Broncos Crash: Truck Driver Jaskirat Singh Sidhu Sentenced To 8 Years