Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Uber Feature To Force Drivers To Take A Break After 12 Straight Hours

The Canadian Press, 21 Feb, 2018 12:45 PM
    TORONTO — Uber drivers in Canada trying to work for more than 12 hours straight will soon be forced to take a six-hour break before they can hit the road again.
     
    The new policy being rolled out at the beginning of next week will be enforced through the company's ride-hailing app, which will block drivers from accepting customers after a half a day of consecutive work.
     
    Uber Canada's general manager Rob Khazzam said the introduction of the feature follows similar moves made by the company in other countries, as part of an effort to curb driver drowsiness and make the platform safer.
     
    According to research conducted by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, 26 per cent of all fatal and injury crashes are attributed to driver fatigue, and in 2006, as many as 167,000 Ontario drivers were involved in at least one crash due to fatigue or drowsiness.
     
    Similarly, an Insurance Corporation of British Columbia survey from 2014 found 30 per cent of respondents admitting to nodding off behind the wheel.
     
    Khazzam called Uber's new feature "common sense."
     
    "If you're a rider, you don't want to get into a car with a driver who has been driving more then 12 hours," he said. "But positively on the drivers' side, we continue to give them flexibility."
     
     
    The feature does constitute a notable shift for Uber, which has long touted a hands-off approach with its employees, leaving work hours and locations up to the drivers to choose.
     
    But Khazzam said most Uber drivers won't even encounter a block on accepting rides because the "vast majority" are behind the wheel for fewer than 15 hours a week.
     
    The forthcoming feature will allow drivers to check how much time they have before a mandatory break and will notify them when they have two hours, one hour and 30 minutes before they'll have to rest.
     
    The app will not count periods when a driver is parked for more than one minute between trips — and doesn't account for drivers who may also be working for a competitor like Lyft.
     
    Uber first experimented with stopping drivers from accepting fares after multiple consecutive hours in a handful of U.S. cities and Australia last fall. In January, it brought the feature to the U.K. and launched it nationally in the U.S. earlier this month.
     
    It comes on top of a separate 2017 initiative from the company that gave drivers access to data about their speeding and braking habits, in hopes of boosting safety.
     
     
    Though he couldn't talk about any further safety features or policy changes that might be in the works, Khazzam said that "people should expect more from us on this front."

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Muslim, Liberties Groups Call On Senators To Revise Preclearance Bill

    Muslim, Liberties Groups Call On Senators To Revise Preclearance Bill
    OTTAWA — Civil libertarians and Muslim groups say minorities will face more border hassles under planned new procedures for preclearing travellers to enter the United States.

    Muslim, Liberties Groups Call On Senators To Revise Preclearance Bill

    World At 'Pivot Point,' Needs To Embrace Openness Free Trade, PM Trudeau Says

    The world is at a "pivot point" and will fail unless countries embrace free trade and elevate their citizens who have been left behind by globalization, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau warned Wednesday.

    World At 'Pivot Point,' Needs To Embrace Openness Free Trade, PM Trudeau Says

    Wrestler Bret Hart Grappling With Plastic Surgeon Over Hand Surgery

    Bret Hart has won numerous bouts over his professional wrestling career but now he's entering the legal ring in a lawsuit against a Calgary plastic surgeon.

    Wrestler Bret Hart Grappling With Plastic Surgeon Over Hand Surgery

    Argument On Social Media Leads To Fight With Weapons In Kingston, Ont.: Police

    Two eastern Ontario teens are facing charges after a social media argument escalated into a fight with weapons on a front yard.

    Argument On Social Media Leads To Fight With Weapons In Kingston, Ont.: Police

    Man Accused Of Flashing Woman In St. Thomas, Ont., Park Wore A Miniskirt: Police

    Man Accused Of Flashing Woman In St. Thomas, Ont., Park Wore A Miniskirt: Police
    ST. THOMAS, Ont. — Police say a man who was wearing a purple sweater and plaid miniskirt is accused of flashing a woman in a southwestern Ontario park.

    Man Accused Of Flashing Woman In St. Thomas, Ont., Park Wore A Miniskirt: Police

    Rohinie Bisesar, Accused In Fatal Toronto Shoppers Drug Mart Stabbing, Declared Unfit To Stand Trial

    Rohinie Bisesar, Accused In Fatal Toronto Shoppers Drug Mart Stabbing, Declared Unfit To Stand Trial
    41-Year-Old Is Charged With 1st-Degree Murder Suffers From Schizophrenia, According To Forensic Psychiatrist

    Rohinie Bisesar, Accused In Fatal Toronto Shoppers Drug Mart Stabbing, Declared Unfit To Stand Trial