Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Westminster Police officers appeal for witnesses to come forward following stabbing

Darpan News Desk , 20 Mar, 2023 11:33 AM
  • New Westminster Police officers appeal for witnesses to come forward following stabbing

Last week on Tuesday at approximately 7:00 pm, New Westminster Police officers received a call about a stabbing on Alexander Street in Downtown New Westminster. Officers rushed to the scene and located a female with several stab wounds who was receiving medical aid from BC Ambulance staff. The victim was later transported to a local area hospital in serious but stable condition.

Officers searched the area but were unable to locate any suspects. Officers have been actively interviewing witnesses and canvassing the area for CCTV footage. Due to the serious nature of the injuries the Major Crime Unit has assumed conduct of the investigation. At this time, officers believe this to be an isolated incident.

“We take this kind of incident extremely seriously and we are conducting a very thorough investigation to ensure this suspect is identified and held accountable,” stated Sergeant Andrew Leaver. “I would urge members of the public who saw anything suspicious or witnessed the incident to come forward and report information to us immediately.”

If anyone has information on this assault or those involved, they are asked to call the New Westminster Police Department Major. 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. shuts schools, gives workers day off Sept. 19

B.C. shuts schools, gives workers day off Sept. 19
A statement from the province says it's a national day to reflect on the "incredible life of Canada's Queen and the longest-serving monarch in British history." Prime Minister Justin Trudeau declared that Monday will be a holiday for federal government workers to mourn the Queen on the day of her state funeral.  

B.C. shuts schools, gives workers day off Sept. 19

B.C. police watchdog called after fatal shooting

B.C. police watchdog called after fatal shooting
A statement from the Mounties says members of the southeast district emergency response team attempted to arrest the man and woman, who had outstanding warrants, along Highway 3 near Keremeos on Tuesday. They say police shot the man after he allegedly pulled out a weapon, and he died at the scene.

B.C. police watchdog called after fatal shooting

A 21-year old man has been sentenced to life in prison for a 2021 shooting in Burnaby.

A 21-year old man has been sentenced to life in prison for a 2021 shooting in Burnaby.
The suspect, later identified as 21-year old Ahmed Tahir, was quickly apprehended. A second victim, who had suffered non life-threatening injuries was later identified. On May 9, 2021, the BC Prosecution Service (BCPS) laid a first degree murder charge against Tahir in relation to the homicide of Mr. Dalipi. 

A 21-year old man has been sentenced to life in prison for a 2021 shooting in Burnaby.

B.C. health minister says system needs change

B.C. health minister says system needs change
Dix spoke in Whistler today at the Union of B.C. Municipalities, an annual meeting of municipal politicians, during a plenary on health care. He says the pandemic has seen primary care transition to a disproportionately digital system, creating challenges alongside crises in paramedic services, nursing staffing levels and other areas.

B.C. health minister says system needs change

Man charged after allegedly stealing a vehicle that was for sale by owner

Man charged after allegedly stealing a vehicle that was for sale by owner
22-year-old Muhammad Mehran Ali of Delta has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, flight from police, possession of property obtained by a crime, carrying a concealed weapon, fail to comply with probation order and prohibited driving under the Motor Vehicle Act.   

Man charged after allegedly stealing a vehicle that was for sale by owner

Provinces scramble after Trudeau declares holiday

Provinces scramble after Trudeau declares holiday
While the announcement signalled that federal workers would get a day off on Sept. 19, the day of the Queen's state funeral and of commemorative events across the country, provinces had to work out the details for other workplaces, including schools, with less than a week's notice.

Provinces scramble after Trudeau declares holiday