Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

New York police searching for 22-year-old Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 10:37 AM
  • New York police searching for 22-year-old Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks

Authorities in northeastern New York state are searching by ground and air for a 22-year-old Quebec man who failed to return from a hike in the Adirondack Mountains over the weekend.

New York State Police say a multi-agency search is underway in the Newcomb area for Leo Dufour of Vaudreuil, Que., west of Montreal.

The Department of Environmental Protection says Dufour's family has said he went hiking on Allen Mountain on Friday but failed to return on Saturday as planned.

The department says Dufour's car was found covered in snow at a trailhead, but says tracking him has been difficult due to recent snowfall.

Dozens of New York state forest rangers are searching for Dufour with help from state police air support units equipped with infrared light.

Dufour is described as five feet seven inches tall and 150 pounds with brown hair, and was wearing a black Arc'teryx coat, a tan hat and reflective sunglasses at the time he went missing.

MORE National ARTICLES

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires
British Columbia's wildfire service says a significant change in the weather could cause another burst of wildfire activity, with extensive thunderstorms expected in the north and parts of the south following weeks of hot and dry weather. A bulletin from the service says B.C. saw thousands of lightning strikes over the weekend, mostly in the north, with more in the forecast.

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's
Miller says the replacement documents include permanent resident cards, Canadian citizenship certificates, passports and other travel documents that were lost, damaged or destroyed by wildfires. The special measures are in place until November 30th of this year.

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week
Homicide investigators say they want to speak with anyone who may know more about a 17-year-old who was found dead in Surrey last week.  Police say they’ve determined the death of Michael Zhao has no connections to the B-C gang conflict and it appears to be an isolated death.

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice
Calgary's outdoor water restrictions will remain in place for now. The city has been cautiously testing the water system in recent days, and says there were issues at both water treatment plants, including pumps at water intakes.

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice

Sandeep Singh Cheema dies in head on semi trailer collision

Sandeep Singh Cheema dies in head on semi trailer collision
Sandeep Singh Cheema, 41, a beloved father and husband, passed away as a result of a horrific head-on collision that occurred on July 16th, when a speeding semi-trailer drove through a red light as Sandeep was about to turn into his workplace to park his semi-trailer truck for the night and head home to his wife and daughters.

Sandeep Singh Cheema dies in head on semi trailer collision

Wildfire continues to rage in Ashcroft

Wildfire continues to rage in Ashcroft
Ashcroft Mayor Barbara Roden says her community is in a wait-and-see situation as the 150-square-kilometre Shetland Creek wildfire looms nearby. Roden says Interior Health has moved 21 long-term care residents and five in assisted living out of the area as a precaution, as locals have been told to be ready to evacuate on short notice.

Wildfire continues to rage in Ashcroft