Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

New York police searching for 22-year-old Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 10:37 AM
  • New York police searching for 22-year-old Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks

Authorities in northeastern New York state are searching by ground and air for a 22-year-old Quebec man who failed to return from a hike in the Adirondack Mountains over the weekend.

New York State Police say a multi-agency search is underway in the Newcomb area for Leo Dufour of Vaudreuil, Que., west of Montreal.

The Department of Environmental Protection says Dufour's family has said he went hiking on Allen Mountain on Friday but failed to return on Saturday as planned.

The department says Dufour's car was found covered in snow at a trailhead, but says tracking him has been difficult due to recent snowfall.

Dozens of New York state forest rangers are searching for Dufour with help from state police air support units equipped with infrared light.

Dufour is described as five feet seven inches tall and 150 pounds with brown hair, and was wearing a black Arc'teryx coat, a tan hat and reflective sunglasses at the time he went missing.

MORE National ARTICLES

Meta's news ban in Canada: screenshots win, local news loses, study shows

Meta's news ban in Canada: screenshots win, local news loses, study shows
National news outlets lost about 64 per cent of the engagement previously generated by users on their Facebook pages, the preliminary research shows.  Local news outlets lost about 85 per cent of their Facebook engagement, the study says, and almost half of all local news outlets stopped posting on Facebook entirely in the four months following the ban. 

Meta's news ban in Canada: screenshots win, local news loses, study shows

Environment Canada warns of snowfall and hazardous driving on B.C. Interior highways

Environment Canada warns of snowfall and hazardous driving on B.C. Interior highways
Environment Canada is warning drivers about snow on some southern British Columbia mountain passes that may cause sudden hazardous driving conditions. The weather office issued special weather statements Tuesday morning for the Coquihalla Highway, Allison Pass, Okanagan Connector, and Kootenay Pass.

Environment Canada warns of snowfall and hazardous driving on B.C. Interior highways

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson
Northern Rockies Regional Municipality Mayor Rob Fraser said it was "insensitive" and "unconscionable" that images of properties destroyed by the Parker Lake wildfire outside Fort Nelson had been shared before owners were told of the damage by authorities.

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral
The president of the University of British Columbia has told pro-Palestinian protesters that the school must remain neutral on the Gaza conflict. Benoit-Antoine Bacon says in response to demands by the organizers of a protest encampment on the Vancouver campus that professors and students hold a broad range of opinions and the university can't "presume to speak for everyone."

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts
A hunter in southeastern British Columbia managed to shoot a grizzly bear that attacked him on Thursday and left him with broken bones and cuts. RCMP in Elk Valley, near Fernie, say the 36-year-old man from nearby Sparwood was out with his father when he was attacked by an adult grizzly.

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts

No jail time for ex security guard

No jail time for ex security guard
A former security guard at a university in Langley, B-C, who was convicted of manslaughter will not be going to prison. The B-C Supreme Court found the 55-year-old man guilty in the 2020 incident at Trinity Western University that resulted in the death of a 30-year-old.

No jail time for ex security guard