Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

No outside oversight of proactive info: officials

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 May, 2021 04:08 PM
  • No outside oversight of proactive info: officials

Senior officials acknowledged Thursday there is no independent oversight of the requirement that federal departments proactively publish government records.

Justin Trudeau promised in the 2015 election campaign to allow Canadians to request documents from ministerial offices through the Access to Information Act, but he backed away from the pledge after the Liberals assumed power.

Instead, the government introduced a requirement that ministers regularly publish information including mandate letters, certain briefing materials, and travel and hospitality expenses.

During a public question-and-answer session Thursday, part of a federal review of the access law, officials were asked why the information commissioner, an independent ombudsman, was not given the job of ensuring departments meet their publishing obligations.

Jennifer Schofield of the Treasury Board Secretariat said there is no specific oversight mechanism for proactive disclosure.

"But it is subject to public scrutiny," she said. "The public is easily able to see if information has been practically published by an institution at any given time."

Schofield's colleague Sonya Read said deputy ministers in each department are responsible for ensuring they're in compliance with the publication scheme.

A report from the government review of the Access to Information Act is to be submitted to the Treasury Board president by Jan. 31 of next year.

The review, announced last June, has prompted skepticism from open-government proponents, who note many studies have been done over the years on reforming the access law.

The law, introduced in 1983, allows people who pay $5 to ask for a range of federal documents, but it has been widely criticized as antiquated and poorly managed.

Information commissioner Caroline Maynard wants the offices of the prime minister and other cabinet members to be included under the access law.

Maynard said the records these offices hold, with the exception of those of a personal or political nature, should be accessible to the public.

"It is important to provide the public with access to records that are of interest to them, not just those that are proactively made available to them," she said in a written submission to the government earlier this year.

The federal review is focusing on the legislative framework, opportunities to improve proactive publication, and assessing processes to improve service and reduce delays.

Details about the consultations and procedures for making written submissions are posted at atiareview.ca.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. updates long-term care visitor restrictions

B.C. updates long-term care visitor restrictions
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced Thursday that she would remove a requirement for a single designated visitor and allow multiple family members and friends to visit elders in care facilities as of April 1.

B.C. updates long-term care visitor restrictions

800 COVID cases for Thursday

800 COVID cases for Thursday
Of the active cases, 306 individuals are currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 79 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

800 COVID cases for Thursday

Child injured at hotel pool in Victoria: police

Child injured at hotel pool in Victoria: police
Victoria police say in a news release that officers were called to the hotel, which they didn't identify, at about 6 p.m. for a report of an injured child.

Child injured at hotel pool in Victoria: police

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown
John Gibb-Carsley told the B.C. Supreme Court that the burden of proof is on Meng's legal team to show the numbers were shared, but they can't do it.

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors
After supplies slowed to a trickle earlier this year, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization said provinces and territories can delay second doses by as long as four months.

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says it's become clear in the last few months that the risk of paying the ticket isn't enough of a deterrence.

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules