Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

No outside oversight of proactive info: officials

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 May, 2021 04:08 PM
  • No outside oversight of proactive info: officials

Senior officials acknowledged Thursday there is no independent oversight of the requirement that federal departments proactively publish government records.

Justin Trudeau promised in the 2015 election campaign to allow Canadians to request documents from ministerial offices through the Access to Information Act, but he backed away from the pledge after the Liberals assumed power.

Instead, the government introduced a requirement that ministers regularly publish information including mandate letters, certain briefing materials, and travel and hospitality expenses.

During a public question-and-answer session Thursday, part of a federal review of the access law, officials were asked why the information commissioner, an independent ombudsman, was not given the job of ensuring departments meet their publishing obligations.

Jennifer Schofield of the Treasury Board Secretariat said there is no specific oversight mechanism for proactive disclosure.

"But it is subject to public scrutiny," she said. "The public is easily able to see if information has been practically published by an institution at any given time."

Schofield's colleague Sonya Read said deputy ministers in each department are responsible for ensuring they're in compliance with the publication scheme.

A report from the government review of the Access to Information Act is to be submitted to the Treasury Board president by Jan. 31 of next year.

The review, announced last June, has prompted skepticism from open-government proponents, who note many studies have been done over the years on reforming the access law.

The law, introduced in 1983, allows people who pay $5 to ask for a range of federal documents, but it has been widely criticized as antiquated and poorly managed.

Information commissioner Caroline Maynard wants the offices of the prime minister and other cabinet members to be included under the access law.

Maynard said the records these offices hold, with the exception of those of a personal or political nature, should be accessible to the public.

"It is important to provide the public with access to records that are of interest to them, not just those that are proactively made available to them," she said in a written submission to the government earlier this year.

The federal review is focusing on the legislative framework, opportunities to improve proactive publication, and assessing processes to improve service and reduce delays.

Details about the consultations and procedures for making written submissions are posted at atiareview.ca.

MORE National ARTICLES

IHIT looking into the assault of a woman in her New Westminster home

IHIT looking into the assault of a woman in her New Westminster home
42 year old, Andywele Mullings, was arrested. According to police the parties involved knew each other. 

IHIT looking into the assault of a woman in her New Westminster home

No place for abusive behaviour in military: Eyre

No place for abusive behaviour in military: Eyre
In addition, Gen. Jonathan Vance, McDonald's predecessor, is being investigated over allegations of sexual misconduct reported by Global News following his retirement.

No place for abusive behaviour in military: Eyre

Homeless in Victoria parks to get shelter spaces

Homeless in Victoria parks to get shelter spaces
Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps says her council is poised to amend its current bylaw that permits 24-hour camping in the park during the pandemic to allow only overnight camping.

Homeless in Victoria parks to get shelter spaces

B.C. to allow 10 to gather outdoors

B.C. to allow 10 to gather outdoors
Dr. Bonnie Henry says restrictions on indoor gatherings and rules for restaurants, bars, retail stores and other venues remain in place.

B.C. to allow 10 to gather outdoors

2 schools close in region South of the Fraser due to COVID19 exposures

2 schools close in region South of the Fraser due to COVID19 exposures
In addition, Fraser Health is working closely with Bibleway Christian Academy, an independent school in Surrey, to manage an exposure of COVID-19 at that location.

2 schools close in region South of the Fraser due to COVID19 exposures

20 year old driver with 'L' designation sends 3 people to hospital

20 year old driver with 'L' designation sends 3 people to hospital
The driver, a 20-year-old man, had accelerated to estimated speeds of 120-140 km/hr (posted 60 km/hr zone) and had attempted to “drift” through a hairpin turn. 

20 year old driver with 'L' designation sends 3 people to hospital