Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Oct, 2022 09:47 AM
  • Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

SECHELT, B.C. - Some businesses and amenities on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast have been told to stop using all treated drinking water later today due to severe drought, but officials say there's no need to panic.

The Sunshine Coast Regional District, District of Sechelt and shishalh Nation have declared a state of local emergency that takes effect Tuesday at midnight as the system that supplies water to about 90 per cent of the homes and businesses in the Sechelt area is at "imminent risk" of running dry.

The regional district says the Sechelt Aquatic Centre will be closed and a water-bottling business, several breweries and cideries and a number of concrete, asphalt and gravel businesses are also among the non-essential commercial water users covered by the order.

It says water must be saved for residents, the local hospital and fire protection, but the district's general manager of infrastructure services says no one should panic.

Remko Rosenboom says there is enough water in the Edwards Lake and Chapman Creek system to last until mid-November and work could begin within days to upgrade the siphons taking water from the deepest points of the lake, potentially adding several more weeks of water reserves.

The Sechelt area usually records about 200 millimetres of rain between July and October, but has received less than 10, pushing the entire Sunshine Coast and several other B.C. regions to Level 5 drought conditions, the most severe on the province's scale.

"We are not in a panic situation, yet," said Rosenboom.

"This state of emergency has been declared to allow us to restrict the uses (by non-essential commercial water users) and it's all with intent to ensure we are not getting into a state where we have to panic," he says.

Rosenboom expects work will start next week on upgrades to the siphon system pulling water from the deepest parts of the Edwards Lake and Chapman Creek systems and he says the province has been approached about other solutions.

The regional district has asked for permission to reduce flows in Chapman Creek, something Rosenboom says can be done without harming fish.

The district is still waiting for a response.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall
That would be 15 months after an out-of-control wildfire swept through and burned 90 per cent of the community. Both Mike Farnworth and federal Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair praised the response of both levels of government as quick and expeditious.

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall

Streamflow warning up on rivers hit by last flood

Streamflow warning up on rivers hit by last flood
Rain from last week is still moving through reservoirs, prompting a high streamflow advisory for the Nicola River, the same river that was flooded last November, washing away large sections of Highway 8 and stranding communities.

Streamflow warning up on rivers hit by last flood

Consider charges against officer: B.C. watchdog

Consider charges against officer: B.C. watchdog
The Independent Investigations Office says in a statement that it filed a report with the BC Prosecution Service for consideration of charges. The office says the shooting happened Jan. 12 last year when police responded to a report of a man involved in a domestic incident in Chilliwack.

Consider charges against officer: B.C. watchdog

B.C. money laundering report released next week

B.C. money laundering report released next week
Premier John Horgan appointed Cullen in May 2019 to lead the inquiry after several reports determined billions of dollars linked to organized crime and the drug trade had affected B.C.'s gaming sector and the real estate and luxury vehicle markets.

B.C. money laundering report released next week

22 year old man stabbed in Surrey, suspects described as South Asian males

22 year old man stabbed in Surrey, suspects described as South Asian males
On Thursday, June 9, at 8:58 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a report of a stabbing in the 10200-block 168 Street. Upon arrival to the scene, police located a 22-year-old man with non-life threatening injuries who was transported to hospital, treated and later released.

22 year old man stabbed in Surrey, suspects described as South Asian males

Ottawa proposes warnings printed on each cigarette

Ottawa proposes warnings printed on each cigarette
The move builds on Canada's mandate to include graphic photo warnings on tobacco products' packaging — a groundbreaking policy that started an international trend when it was introduced two decades ago

Ottawa proposes warnings printed on each cigarette