Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Oct, 2022 09:47 AM
  • Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

SECHELT, B.C. - Some businesses and amenities on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast have been told to stop using all treated drinking water later today due to severe drought, but officials say there's no need to panic.

The Sunshine Coast Regional District, District of Sechelt and shishalh Nation have declared a state of local emergency that takes effect Tuesday at midnight as the system that supplies water to about 90 per cent of the homes and businesses in the Sechelt area is at "imminent risk" of running dry.

The regional district says the Sechelt Aquatic Centre will be closed and a water-bottling business, several breweries and cideries and a number of concrete, asphalt and gravel businesses are also among the non-essential commercial water users covered by the order.

It says water must be saved for residents, the local hospital and fire protection, but the district's general manager of infrastructure services says no one should panic.

Remko Rosenboom says there is enough water in the Edwards Lake and Chapman Creek system to last until mid-November and work could begin within days to upgrade the siphons taking water from the deepest points of the lake, potentially adding several more weeks of water reserves.

The Sechelt area usually records about 200 millimetres of rain between July and October, but has received less than 10, pushing the entire Sunshine Coast and several other B.C. regions to Level 5 drought conditions, the most severe on the province's scale.

"We are not in a panic situation, yet," said Rosenboom.

"This state of emergency has been declared to allow us to restrict the uses (by non-essential commercial water users) and it's all with intent to ensure we are not getting into a state where we have to panic," he says.

Rosenboom expects work will start next week on upgrades to the siphon system pulling water from the deepest parts of the Edwards Lake and Chapman Creek systems and he says the province has been approached about other solutions.

The regional district has asked for permission to reduce flows in Chapman Creek, something Rosenboom says can be done without harming fish.

The district is still waiting for a response.

MORE National ARTICLES

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable
In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Canada restoring random testing of air travellers

Canada restoring random testing of air travellers
Ottawa paused the random testing of vaccinated travellers entering Canada by air on June 11, while it worked on moving the tests themselves locations outside of airports. The government now says testing will resume as of July 19 for fully vaccinated travellers arriving at the Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Toronto airports.

Canada restoring random testing of air travellers

COVID vaccine for youngest kids approved

COVID vaccine for youngest kids approved
"After a thorough and independent scientific review of the evidence, the department has determined that the vaccine is safe and effective at preventing COVID-19 in children between 6 months and 5 years of age," the department said in a statement.

COVID vaccine for youngest kids approved

Overdose deaths set more records in B.C.: coroner

Overdose deaths set more records in B.C.: coroner
In at least 44 per cent of the cases, benzodiazepine was detected, which the coroner says doesn't respond to naloxone and makes reversing an overdose very difficult. At least 940 people died from toxic drugs in B.C. between January and May, which is also a record number for the start of a calendar year.

Overdose deaths set more records in B.C.: coroner

Man's body found in an industrial area of Burnaby, foul play confirmed: IHIT

Man's body found in an industrial area of Burnaby, foul play confirmed: IHIT
First responders were called to a gravel lot near a vacant building on Norland Avenue near Laurel Street around 9:45 am on Thursday, July 14 after a member of the public found an adult male who was deceased. The victim had injuries consistent with foul play. Efforts are underway to identify the victim, but there are early indications it was a targeted incident.

Man's body found in an industrial area of Burnaby, foul play confirmed: IHIT

Surrey-Langley SkyTrain to be operable by 2028

Surrey-Langley SkyTrain to be operable by 2028
Once complete, Fleming says it will take just 22 minutes to travel from Langley to King George station in Surrey, and just over an hour to get from Langley to downtown Vancouver.  The province says in a release that work on the project, including utility relocations and road widening, is already underway and major construction is expected to begin in 2024.

Surrey-Langley SkyTrain to be operable by 2028