Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Oct, 2022 09:47 AM
  • Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

SECHELT, B.C. - Some businesses and amenities on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast have been told to stop using all treated drinking water later today due to severe drought, but officials say there's no need to panic.

The Sunshine Coast Regional District, District of Sechelt and shishalh Nation have declared a state of local emergency that takes effect Tuesday at midnight as the system that supplies water to about 90 per cent of the homes and businesses in the Sechelt area is at "imminent risk" of running dry.

The regional district says the Sechelt Aquatic Centre will be closed and a water-bottling business, several breweries and cideries and a number of concrete, asphalt and gravel businesses are also among the non-essential commercial water users covered by the order.

It says water must be saved for residents, the local hospital and fire protection, but the district's general manager of infrastructure services says no one should panic.

Remko Rosenboom says there is enough water in the Edwards Lake and Chapman Creek system to last until mid-November and work could begin within days to upgrade the siphons taking water from the deepest points of the lake, potentially adding several more weeks of water reserves.

The Sechelt area usually records about 200 millimetres of rain between July and October, but has received less than 10, pushing the entire Sunshine Coast and several other B.C. regions to Level 5 drought conditions, the most severe on the province's scale.

"We are not in a panic situation, yet," said Rosenboom.

"This state of emergency has been declared to allow us to restrict the uses (by non-essential commercial water users) and it's all with intent to ensure we are not getting into a state where we have to panic," he says.

Rosenboom expects work will start next week on upgrades to the siphon system pulling water from the deepest parts of the Edwards Lake and Chapman Creek systems and he says the province has been approached about other solutions.

The regional district has asked for permission to reduce flows in Chapman Creek, something Rosenboom says can be done without harming fish.

The district is still waiting for a response.

MORE National ARTICLES

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood
Environment Canada is reporting about six millimetres of rain fell at the Prince George airport Tuesday, but doesn't mention the localized, intense thunderstorm that deluged the city's downtown core, flooding several streets.

Unsettled weather causes another B.C. flash flood

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader
Horgan announced last week that he'll resign as leader in the fall after the party holds a leadership convention, saying his second bout with cancer left him with little energy for the job. Kahlon says he's throwing his support for the new leader behind Attorney General David Eby, who has yet to announce if he is running.

B.C. cabinet minister not running for NDP leader

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three
Police say witnesses report a black sedan crossed into the path of an oncoming westbound SUV, hitting it head on. The RCMP say the crash killed a 51-year-old Sorrento man, a 67-year old woman and a 60-year-old man, both from Blind Bay.

Head-on crash in B.C. Interior kills three

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout
Twenty-two-year-old Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie of Duncan, B.C., were killed by police in a shootout that left six officers injured outside a Bank of Montreal branch in Saanich on June 28.    

Questions remain after B.C. bank shootout

Multi-vehicle collision on 176 Street in Surrey leads to road closure

Multi-vehicle collision on 176 Street in Surrey leads to road closure
Southbound lanes of 176 Street are closed from 88 Avenue to 96 Avenue. The investigation is in the early stages and it is unknown how long the road closure will remain in effect.

Multi-vehicle collision on 176 Street in Surrey leads to road closure

Women grads more likely to access CERB: StatCan

Women grads more likely to access CERB: StatCan
Statistics Canada compared the proportion of 2010 to 2018 graduates who received CERB based on educational and socio-demographic characteristics to the proportion of all workers who received the benefit.

Women grads more likely to access CERB: StatCan