Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ontario likely to mix first and second vax doses

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 May, 2021 06:20 PM
  • Ontario likely to mix first and second vax doses

Ontario will likely mix and match COVID-19 vaccine doses in light of uncertain future supply of all the shots approved for use in Canada.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says it's likely that recipients of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine may receive a different shot for their second dose.

The province is waiting for the results from a U.K. study on mixing different vaccines and on advice from a federal immunization panel.

Quebec has also said that it plans to mix vaccines due to supply shortages, substituting the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for the Moderna vaccines in order to quickly give booster shots to long-term care residents.

It's unclear when more Oxford-AstraZeneca shots will arrive but Ontario is expecting millions of Pfizer-BioNTech shots in the coming weeks.

Biologist and science communicator Samantha Yammine says some Canadians who have already received the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot may be comforted to know they have the option of a different dose.

She says the pandemic has given rise to an "infodemic," with a flood of advice about areas like the low risk of blood clots from viral-vector shots compared with mRNA vaccines.

Even with more mRNA vaccines on the way, Yammine says Canada should be careful about dismissing shots like Oxford-AstraZeneca's because they are important to ending the global pandemic.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization sparked controversy when it recommended that Canadians who aren't at high risk from COVID-19 may want to wait until a dose of Pfizer-BioNtech or Moderna is available, calling them the "preferred" vaccines.

The comments were met with harsh criticism from public health officials and members of the public, and the chair of the committee said last week that the recommendation was not "retrospective" and that those who got the AstraZeneca vaccine did the right thing to protect themselves and their families.

MORE National ARTICLES

Alek Minassian found guilty in Toronto van attack

Alek Minassian found guilty in Toronto van attack
The 28-year-old from Richmond Hill, Ont., pleaded not guilty to 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.

Alek Minassian found guilty in Toronto van attack

Tory MP David Sweet speaks out against lockdowns

Tory MP David Sweet speaks out against lockdowns
Ontario MP David Sweet says the pandemic-related restrictions are causing huge psychological and economic damage.

Tory MP David Sweet speaks out against lockdowns

PM 'optimistic' that vaccine timeline can move up

PM 'optimistic' that vaccine timeline can move up
He says that by the end of the month, Canada should receive more than the 6 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines it initially expected.

PM 'optimistic' that vaccine timeline can move up

Federal funding for 100 new research projects

Federal funding for 100 new research projects
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced $518 million Wednesday he says will support the work of nearly 1,000 researchers.

Federal funding for 100 new research projects

Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Cindrich Elementary School in Surrey

Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Cindrich Elementary School in Surrey
An individual at the school tested positive for a COVID-19 variant of concern. Only those staff and students who have been identified as close contacts need to be tested and have been contacted.

Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Cindrich Elementary School in Surrey

B.C. auditor general raises accounting concerns

B.C. auditor general raises accounting concerns
Pickup outlined Tuesday what he describes as a nine-year accounting difference of opinion his office has with B.C. over the way federal funds for capital projects are added to the province's annual budget totals.

B.C. auditor general raises accounting concerns