Wednesday, August 15, 2018
ADVT 
National

Ontario To Spend $25 Million To Help Fight Guns And Gangs In Toronto

The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2018
  • Ontario To Spend $25 Million To Help Fight Guns And Gangs In Toronto
TORONTO — The Ontario government says it will spend $25 million over the next four years in a bid to bolster the fight against guns and gangs in Toronto.
 
 
Premier Doug Ford says the funding will help give police the tools they need to address a rise in gun violence in the city this year.
 
 
The funding will include $7.6 million for teams at each courthouse in the city dedicated to prosecuting gun crime cases.
 
 
Ford also asked both the federal government and the City of Toronto to match the province's funding commitment.
 
 
He says Ontario will also spend $18 million to provide additional digital, investigative and analytical tools to Toronto police to help them fight drug gangs and gun crime.
 
 
Ford's Progressive Conservative government has ruled out bringing back the controversial practice of police street checks, a promise reiterated by the premier today.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ontario Families Launch Human Rights Challenge Against Sex-Ed Curriculum Rollback

Ontario Families Launch Human Rights Challenge Against Sex-Ed Curriculum Rollback
A group of families is launching a human rights challenge to the Ontario government's decision to repeal and replace the province's modernized sex-education curriculum.

Ontario Families Launch Human Rights Challenge Against Sex-Ed Curriculum Rollback

Many Canadians Are Driving High, According To New StatCan Cannabis Data

Many Canadians Are Driving High, According To New StatCan Cannabis Data

A new Statistics Canada survey has found about 1.4 million Canadians reported they had been a passenger in a vehicle driven by someone who had consumed cannabis in the previous two hours.

Many Canadians Are Driving High, According To New StatCan Cannabis Data

New Trial Ordered For Saskatchewan Lovers Convicted Of Plotting To Kill Spouses

New Trial Ordered For Saskatchewan Lovers Convicted Of Plotting To Kill Spouses
 Saskatchewan's top court has ordered a new trial for a man and woman convicted of conspiracy to murder their spouses.

New Trial Ordered For Saskatchewan Lovers Convicted Of Plotting To Kill Spouses

Father Who Forgot Baby In Car Will Not Be Charged In Death: Crown

Father Who Forgot Baby In Car Will Not Be Charged In Death: Crown
MONTREAL — Crown officials will not be laying charges against a man whose baby died after he forgot the six-month-old boy in his car last June.

Father Who Forgot Baby In Car Will Not Be Charged In Death: Crown