Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Opposition leaders briefed on COVID-19 pandemic

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2020 11:44 PM
  • Opposition leaders briefed on COVID-19 pandemic

Federal opposition leaders have been given an advance look at grim new projections for the spread of COVID-19 in Canada.

Updated modelling that is expected to show the number of new cases rising dramatically over the next month is to be released Friday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau invited opposition leaders to attend a confidential briefing today with chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam and her deputy, Dr. Howard Njoo.

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole says the briefing left him with the belief that Canada is "worse off" now than it was at the start of the pandemic in March.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls the projected case numbers "troubling" and Green Leader Annamie Paul says the briefing was "sobering."

The Prime Minister's Office says the purpose of the briefing was to urge opposition leaders to put aside partisanship and join in a common effort to urge Canadians to strictly limit their contacts with people outside their households.

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal deficit hits $148.6B through July

Federal deficit hits $148.6B through July
The result compared with a deficit of $1.6 billion for the same period in the 2019-2020 fiscal year.

Federal deficit hits $148.6B through July

PM 'disappointed' by RCMP mask policy

PM 'disappointed' by RCMP mask policy
The World Sikh Organization of Canada says officers have been placed on desk duty for almost six months, as the RCMP found the N100 mask does not seal with facial hair.

PM 'disappointed' by RCMP mask policy

Forces nears end to long search for rescue planes

Forces nears end to long search for rescue planes
The unveiling at Canadian Forces Base Comox, B.C., follows more than 15 years of controversy and start-stop effort to buy replacements for the ancient Buffalo and older-model Hercules aircraft used by the military to save Canadians every year.

Forces nears end to long search for rescue planes

Mistrial declared in N.L. cop's sex assault trial

Mistrial declared in N.L. cop's sex assault trial
Const. Carl Douglas Snelgrove of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary was facing his second trial for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman he had driven home in his police vehicle in 2014.

Mistrial declared in N.L. cop's sex assault trial

Corruption charges stayed against Normandeau

Corruption charges stayed against Normandeau
Quebec court Judge Andre Perreault ruled today that there had been unreasonable delays in getting the case to trial.

Corruption charges stayed against Normandeau

Mounties arrest an arson suspect

Mounties arrest an arson suspect
A 26-year-old man from Chilliwack remains in custody on an unrelated warrant of arrest.

Mounties arrest an arson suspect