Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Opposition leaders briefed on COVID-19 pandemic

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2020 11:44 PM
  • Opposition leaders briefed on COVID-19 pandemic

Federal opposition leaders have been given an advance look at grim new projections for the spread of COVID-19 in Canada.

Updated modelling that is expected to show the number of new cases rising dramatically over the next month is to be released Friday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau invited opposition leaders to attend a confidential briefing today with chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam and her deputy, Dr. Howard Njoo.

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole says the briefing left him with the belief that Canada is "worse off" now than it was at the start of the pandemic in March.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls the projected case numbers "troubling" and Green Leader Annamie Paul says the briefing was "sobering."

The Prime Minister's Office says the purpose of the briefing was to urge opposition leaders to put aside partisanship and join in a common effort to urge Canadians to strictly limit their contacts with people outside their households.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian troops reported safe after Iraq attack

Canadian troops reported safe after Iraq attack
U.S. military officials say the rockets did not hit the base located near the city of Irbil in Iraq's Kurdistan region, and the Department of National Defence said all Canadian troops at the base were safe.

Canadian troops reported safe after Iraq attack

Liberals revive bill to outlaw conversion therapy

Liberals revive bill to outlaw conversion therapy
The government had previously introduced the legislation in March, just before Parliament shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and then their decision to prorogue in August erased the bill from the House of Commons agenda.

Liberals revive bill to outlaw conversion therapy

16 new COVID-19 deaths reported in Quebec

16 new COVID-19 deaths reported in Quebec
Hospitalizations increased by 13 compared with the prior day, for a total of 275, with 46 people in intensive case, a rise of three patients.

16 new COVID-19 deaths reported in Quebec

RCMP officers describe chaotic N.B. shooting scene

RCMP officers describe chaotic N.B. shooting scene
The defence has admitted that Raymond, 50, killed the victims, who were shot in the parking lot of an apartment complex, but says he should be found not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.

RCMP officers describe chaotic N.B. shooting scene

Break and enter at a Surrey residence leads to large drug seizure

Break and enter at a Surrey residence leads to large drug seizure
As the investigation in the break and enter progressed, officers located a large quantity of drugs and cash inside the residence.

Break and enter at a Surrey residence leads to large drug seizure

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges
They say Raymond Howard Gaglardi has been charged with six counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual exploitation in addition to six previous charges laid in July.

Coquitlam man faces additional sex assault charges