Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Mar, 2021 04:55 PM
  • Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for

Friends of an Oshawa, Ont., family said they feared for the worst Monday as four people remained unaccounted for following a fire that tore through several rowhouses.

Aaron Clague said his friend lived in one of the homes and managed to escape with his wife and their youngest son after the flames broke out in the early hours of the morning.

"He told the kids to follow them. They didn't get out," Clague said. "The assumption is the worst right now."

The wife and son were treated in hospital, but their condition is unknown, Clague said.

Sharon Powell, another family friend, said she came to the home after hearing about the blaze.

"All I could think of is the children and hoping they made it out," she said.

Authorities have not identified the four people who remain unaccounted for, and would not say whether any are children.

However, fire officials said they believe all those injured in the fire were from the same home.

In all, residents from seven homes have been displaced, they said.

Fire Chief Derrick Clark said the most damaged home had nine occupants, five of whom were sent to hospital for treatment. One remains in hospital but the others have since been discharged, he said.

"We've got four residents unaccounted for and, you know, at this time it's not looking like it's going to have a positive end, but we're going to continue our investigations," he said.

Clark said the blaze had caused extensive structural damage, making the units too dangerous for fire crews to enter for the time being.

"The structure is extremely unstable right now. The fire was very, very intense, very difficult for our firefighters last night, and it's going to take us some while to get things sorted out," he said.

The chief said the injured were treated for smoke inhalation, burns and cuts.

He also noted that some residents of the units were being sheltered at a local hotel and were receiving aid from the Red Cross and social service agencies.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the blaze, but Clark said the Ontario Fire Marshal and Durham Regional Police were investigating as well.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa announces $55m in clean tech funding

Ottawa announces $55m in clean tech funding
Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne says the spending will help keep Canada at the forefront of the large and growing clean technology market.

Ottawa announces $55m in clean tech funding

Highway reopens near Hope, B.C., after fatal crash

Highway reopens near Hope, B.C., after fatal crash
Crews had to remove more than 20 damaged vehicles, including jackknifed tractor-trailers, a motor coach bus, cars, a police cruiser and even an ambulance that lost control in icy conditions on a curvy, downhill grade.

Highway reopens near Hope, B.C., after fatal crash

6 new COVID19 deaths for Wednesday

6 new COVID19 deaths for Wednesday
There are 4,305 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. There are 230 individuals currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 66 of whom are in intensive care.

6 new COVID19 deaths for Wednesday

John Horgan must work with Governor Inslee to stop gatherings at Peace Arch Park

John Horgan must work with Governor Inslee to stop gatherings at Peace Arch Park
So far, Washington State officials have not shown any willingness to close the American side of the park to help limit the number of people who gather.

John Horgan must work with Governor Inslee to stop gatherings at Peace Arch Park

Police arrest Delta man for trafficking to minors

Police arrest Delta man for trafficking to minors
A 27-year-old Delta man was arrested February 4 in Tsawwassen after police identified a suspect in relation to this matter.

Police arrest Delta man for trafficking to minors

Man charged in 13 break-ins from across Lower Mainland: Surrey RCMP

Man charged in 13 break-ins from across Lower Mainland: Surrey RCMP
The investigation began in September 2019, when Surrey RCMP received a report of a break and enter at a business in the 16000-block of Fraser Highway.

Man charged in 13 break-ins from across Lower Mainland: Surrey RCMP