Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa defers effective date of capital gains changes to 2026, promises exemptions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Jan, 2025 11:38 AM
  • Ottawa defers effective date of capital gains changes to 2026, promises exemptions

The federal government says it is deferring the implementation of a hike to the capital gains inclusion rate to next year and plans to introduce new exemptions to ensure most middle-class Canadians do not pay more tax if the rate becomes official.

The deferral announced by Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc on Friday delays the implementation of the change from June 25, 2024 to Jan. 1, 2026.

LeBlanc promised to table legislation related to the capital gains inclusion rate changes along with an increase to the lifetime gains exemption and a new incentive for entrepreneurs "in due course."

“The deferral of the increase to the capital gains inclusion rate will provide certainty to Canadians, whether they be individuals or business owners, as we quickly approach tax season," LeBlanc said in a statement. 

"Given the current context, our government felt that it was the responsible thing to do."

The hike being deferred is meant to raise the portion of capital gains on which companies pay tax to two-thirds from one-half. The policy would also apply to individuals with capital gains earnings above $250,000.

While the hike was proposed in the Liberals' latest federal budget and introduced later as a ways and means motion, it hasn't passed in Parliament, which is prorogued until March 24.

However, the Canada Revenue Agency had already started to administer the changes because parliamentary convention dictates that taxation proposals are effective as soon as the government tables a notice of ways and means motion.

The tax agency previously said it would only stop administering the policy if Parliament resumes and the government signals it will no longer proceed with the proposed changes to capital gains taxation.

The decision to begin collecting tax before it was made law "created months of uncertainty and a tax-filing nightmare for working Canadians across our country," pointed out Conservative MPs Jasraj Singh Hallan and Adam Chambers in a joint statement.

Some Canadians were unsure whether to file taxes as if the capital gains hike would become law or take the chance of skirting the policy because parliament isn't slated to reconvene for two more months and many are predicting the Liberal government will fall after it selects a new leader in March.

LeBlanc's Friday announcement seeks to deliver clarity to these Canadians and appease the many critics, including executives from tech darling Shopify Inc., who saw the capital gains hike as a way to drive innovation and talent out of the country.

LeBlanc's announcement included increasing the lifetime capital gains exemption to $1.25 million from the current amount of about $1 million on the sale of small business shares and farming and fishing properties.

The increase effective June 25, 2024 means Canadians with capital gains below $2.25 million would pay less tax, even after the inclusion rate increases on Jan. 1, 2026, LeBlanc said.

The increase to the lifetime capital gains exemption will be paired with a new $250,000 annual threshold for Canadians effective Jan. 1, 2026. 

Capital gains, including on the sale of a secondary property, such as a cottage, will be eligible for the $250,000 annual threshold, meaning a couple selling a cottage with a $500,000 capital gain would not pay more tax, the government said.

Rounding out LeBlanc's Friday moves is a new Canadian Entrepreneurs’ Incentive, which drops the inclusion rate to one-third on a lifetime maximum of $2 million in eligible capital gains.

The incentive would take effect starting in the 2025 tax year and the maximum would increase by $400,000 each year, reaching $2 million in 2029, the government said. 

It added that when combined with the new $1.25 million lifetime capital gains exemption, entrepreneurs would pay less tax and be better off on capital gains of up to $6.25 million.

The changes and the deferral didn't assuage all the criticism.

The Council of Canadian Innovators was disappointed the government didn't admit it had been wrong about the policy introduced by former Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland, who has since committed to reversing the hike if she's elected prime minister.

"Providing real certainty to Canadians would be to admit once and for all that this was a mistake and move on," Benjamin Bergen, president of the organization representing 150 tech companies, said in an email.

Meanwhile, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business saw Friday's announcement as "welcome news" for small businesses but warned there's a lesson to be learned.

"This experience highlights the need for Canada to introduce rules guiding provisional authority for the Canada Revenue Agency to collect taxes," CFIB president Dan Kelly said in a statement.

His organization, which represents 100,000 small and medium-sized businesses, promised to lobby the government to mirror legislation from the U.K., allowing its tax authority no more than six months to pass legislation. 

If legislation is not passed and Parliament is prorogued, CFIB said its proposed change would ensure tax rates automatically return to their previous levels.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall
Several federal cabinet ministers say they are all ears to what disgruntled voters are saying in the aftermath of a Toronto byelection defeat in what was considered a safe Liberal riding. Although the ministers expressed openness to hearing out Canadians  turned off by the Liberals and Justin Trudeau, none could say how their team plans to address those concerns.

Trudeau's cabinet all ears to the concerns of Canadians as political fortunes fall

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson
Police in Vancouver have released video showing a man who is believed to have set fire to the front entrance of a synagogue last month in the hope that someone may recognize the suspect.  The security video shows a man wearing a dark jacket, light ball cap and a medical face mask approaching the front steps of the Schara Tzedeck synagogue on Vancouver's Oak Street on May 30 with a time stamp of 9:41 p.m. 

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

101 drownings last year in BC

101 drownings last year in BC
New statistics from the B-C Coroners Service say 101 people accidentally drowned in the province last year, many of them in the summer months.  Acting chief coroner John McNamee says their report looked at a decade of drownings, and May through August were the most fatal months. 

101 drownings last year in BC

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge
Mounties in Surrey say the search of a home in Maple Ridge turned up stolen merchandise with a total estimated value topping 43-thousand dollars. Police say they arrested a woman who was using Facebook Marketplace to advertise and sell the stolen goods, ranging from designer clothing and accessories to sportswear by popular brands.

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health
One of the two Green Party members in British Columbia's Legislature has announced he will not seek re-election in this fall's provincial vote. Adam Olsen, who represents Saanich North and the Islands, says in a statement that he is stepping down because "it's the responsible and ethical thing" to do when he cannot "commit fully to the job for the next four years."

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor
Calgary's weeks-long water crisis, which has prompted civic officials to ask residents to cut back on showers and other activities, may end a little sooner than expected. Underground repairs to a water main that broke June 5 are now complete, Mayor Jyoti Gondek said Tuesday, and service could be restored earlier than the July 5 target date if things go well over the coming days.

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor