Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa planning to send health workers to Manitoba

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 May, 2021 12:11 PM
  • Ottawa planning to send health workers to Manitoba

The federal government is deploying health workers, medical equipment and the military to Manitoba as COVID-19 overwhelms the province's hospitals.

Manitoba has the highest new COVID-19 infection rate in North America currently, with more than 1,200 new cases confirmed over the recent long weekend.

More than a dozen critical patients have already been flown to Ontario for intensive care, some as far away as Ottawa, London and Windsor.

Winnipeg Liberal MP Jim Carr, cabinet's special representative to the Prairies, says Ottawa is responding to requests for assistance from Manitoba.

Carr says the military is deploying to 23 First Nations to aid in vaccinations, epidemiologists and interviewers will help with contact tracing, and Ottawa is also preparing to send federal health care workers and potentially some from the Canadian Red Cross.

Carr says Manitoba has also asked for more personal protective gear as the province's health care system "is reaching its limit."

MORE National ARTICLES

Had COVID? You may need just one vaccine shot

Had COVID? You may need just one vaccine shot
The committee is "actively reviewing evidence on the protection offered by one dose for those previously infected, and whether a second dose continues to be necessary," says a statement from the panel.

Had COVID? You may need just one vaccine shot

Charges laid in relation to burned body discovered in Burnaby's Greentree Village Park

Charges laid in relation to burned body discovered in Burnaby's Greentree Village Park
IHIT says Charges have been laid in connection with the burned body discovered in Burnaby's Greentree Village Park on March 18. 

Charges laid in relation to burned body discovered in Burnaby's Greentree Village Park

'Playbook' ignores cases against defence chiefs

'Playbook' ignores cases against defence chiefs
The playbook’s existence was revealed by acting defence chief Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre earlier this week, as he laid out a series of new initiatives the military is taking to address sexual misconduct in the ranks.

'Playbook' ignores cases against defence chiefs

716 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

716 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There have been three new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,441 deaths in British Columbia.

716 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Unmasked man arrested for assault at Metropolis at Metrotown

Unmasked man arrested for assault at Metropolis at Metrotown
Burnaby frontline investigators responded and arrested a 48-year-old West Vancouver man, charging him with Fail to wear a face covering, a contravention of the Emergency Programs Act.

Unmasked man arrested for assault at Metropolis at Metrotown

Microsoft Canada expanding in Vancouver

Microsoft Canada expanding in Vancouver
“The expansion of Microsoft’s cloud services and its investment in building applications further establishes the Lower Mainland as a growing hub for technology and innovation“. 

Microsoft Canada expanding in Vancouver