Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

Meng's legal team gives alternative narrative: AG

Meng's legal team gives alternative narrative: AG
Meng's defence team has argued there was no risk to HSBC and the bank was entirely responsible for its own decision to clear a financial transaction through the United States, putting it at risk of violating American sanctions.

Meng's legal team gives alternative narrative: AG

Rail companies sued in Lytton, B.C., wildfire

Rail companies sued in Lytton, B.C., wildfire
The B.C. Supreme Court statement of claim alleges the fire was set off by heat or sparks emanating from a CP freight train operated by CN employees on tracks owned by CN.

Rail companies sued in Lytton, B.C., wildfire

New 8 lane tunnel to replace George Massey Tunnel by 2030

New 8 lane tunnel to replace George Massey Tunnel by 2030
A new eight-lane immersed-tube tunnel will replace the George Massey Tunnel on Highway 99, providing people a toll-free crossing that aligns with regional interests and improves transit, cycling and walking connections across the Fraser River.

New 8 lane tunnel to replace George Massey Tunnel by 2030

Meng extradition hearing enters final day

Meng extradition hearing enters final day
The B.C. Supreme Court judge is expected to reserve her decision following the submissions as she considers whether the United States has presented enough evidence of fraud to support its case and have the Huawei executive extradited to face charges.

Meng extradition hearing enters final day

Coyote bites midnight picnickers in Stanley Park

Coyote bites midnight picnickers in Stanley Park
Nearly three dozen aggressive interactions have occurred between humans and coyotes in Stanley Park since late last year — including at least two since July involving injuries to young children.

Coyote bites midnight picnickers in Stanley Park

Cooler weather offers B.C. wildfire reprieve

Cooler weather offers B.C. wildfire reprieve
The B.C. Wildfire Service lists the current wildfire danger as low across most of the Kamloops Fire Centre, where at least six major fires have destroyed homes in several communities.

Cooler weather offers B.C. wildfire reprieve