Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal workers must get COVID vaccine

Federal workers must get COVID vaccine
Ottawa will require federal employees, workers in federally regulated industries and many travellers to be vaccinated against COVID-19, marking a shift in the federal government's position on vaccine mandates.

Federal workers must get COVID vaccine

Meng's defence to argue against surrender to U.S.

Meng's defence to argue against surrender to U.S.
The 2018 arrest of Meng, who is the Chinese telecom company's chief financial officer, embroiled Canada in a bitter dispute between the United States and China.

Meng's defence to argue against surrender to U.S.

2 people in custody after a shooting and ramming of a police vehicle in Guildford Thursday: Surrey RCMP

2 people in custody after a shooting and ramming of a police vehicle in Guildford Thursday: Surrey RCMP
One male victim was transported to hospital with non-life threatening injuries believed to be from a gunshot wound.     

2 people in custody after a shooting and ramming of a police vehicle in Guildford Thursday: Surrey RCMP

Peace Arch Duty Free shop open now open for shopping after being closed over a year due to COVID19

Peace Arch Duty Free shop open now open for shopping after being closed over a year due to COVID19
The Canadian government on Monday, August 9th, amended the travel restrictions allowing all Americans who are fully vaccinated to enter Canada. The company expects to welcome American visitors at this time.

Peace Arch Duty Free shop open now open for shopping after being closed over a year due to COVID19

New draft plan envisions the future of Fleetwood supported by SkyTrain

New draft plan envisions the future of Fleetwood supported by SkyTrain
The area will be home to three future SkyTrain stations, including 152 Street, 160 Street and 166 Street. The plan will support the extension of the Expo Line SkyTrain to Langley and will better connect Fleetwood with the rest of Surrey and the Lower Mainland. 

New draft plan envisions the future of Fleetwood supported by SkyTrain

513 COVID19 cases for Thursday

513 COVID19 cases for Thursday
83.1% (3,596,148) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 73.3% (3,168,620) received their second dose.    

513 COVID19 cases for Thursday