Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 01:14 PM
  • Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

A military watchdog is pushing Ottawa to financially compensate Afghan Canadians who served as interpreters for the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan and later suffered mental distress.

The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Hynes said Ottawa should order independent assessments and determine on a case-by-case basis if former advisers need compensation for such conditions as post-traumatic stress disorder.

"There were systemic failures at multiple points in the employment of the (advisers) and in post-employment care," she said.

Ottawa hired 81 of these advisers to work from 2006 to 2014 in the war-torn country on prolonged deployments outside the safe zones of military bases. Many would later struggle to access benefits and supports because they aren't covered by the same policies as military members.

"The federal government made a commitment to these employees when they hired them," Hynes said. "They sent them overseas, they deployed them outside the wire, they put them in harm's way, and then when they came back, they found themselves unable to access the care and benefits that they needed."

Her office has been raising this issue with the federal government for years. But while Defence Minister Bill Blair has pledged support, Ottawa has so far failed to act.

Ottawa's response to former advisers seeking compensation has been to direct them to the Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). Many advisers say they've struggled and failed to get the provincial bureaucracy to advance their claims.

Of all the WSIB claims filed by former advisers, only three led to financial compensation and 13 qualified for some level of health-care benefits, Hynes said.

Blair's written response to the report said he "regret(s) the injuries that several" suffered due to their deployments and the department now has measures in place limiting civilian deployment time.

But Hynes said Blair's response to her recommendations left her "very unclear" about how Ottawa's plan for the advisers will "meet the spirit" of her recommendations.

She called her report her last option to spur the government into action.

"I was hoping that clearly laying out the evidence, showing the timeline, showing the policy gaps — I really hoped that would prompt action, but I would note that there's no requirement for the government to follow the recommendations made by our office," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs should be taken seriously. President-elect Trump threatened on social media this week to impose a 25-per-cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico over concerns about border enforcement.

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery
Canada's top court has affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing British Columbia to pursue a class-action lawsuit against opioid providers on behalf of other provinces, the territories and the federal government. The Supreme Court of Canada's 6-1 decision Friday is another step toward a potential cross-country action by governments that paid to treat patients who took the addictive drugs. 

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention
As Australia moves to ban social media for children under 16, Quebec is debating whether to follow suit. The provincial government decided last spring to study the possibility of setting a minimum age for social media accounts, following a push from the youth wing of the governing Coalition Avenir Québec.

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI
A coalition of Canadian news publishers is suing OpenAI for using news content to train its ChatGPT generative artificial intelligence system. The coalition includes The Canadian Press, Torstar, Globe and Mail, Postmedia and CBC/Radio-Canada.

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway
BC Highway Patrol says the crash happened just before 11 a.m. on a stretch of Highway 1 in Chilliwack, where an eastbound dump truck saw two of its wheels come loose from one of its axles as it was driving. Police say one of the loose wheels then crossed the highway into the westbound lanes, where it hit the SUV head-on.

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga
The Surrey Police Service took over from the RCMP and became the city's force of jurisdiction Friday, after a six-year saga set in motion by former mayor Doug McCallum. Along the way, there were court challenges, a change of municipal government and accusations of bullying, but McCallum says he has no regrets about the troubled transition for the community southeast of Vancouver.

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga