Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 01:14 PM
  • Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

A military watchdog is pushing Ottawa to financially compensate Afghan Canadians who served as interpreters for the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan and later suffered mental distress.

The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Hynes said Ottawa should order independent assessments and determine on a case-by-case basis if former advisers need compensation for such conditions as post-traumatic stress disorder.

"There were systemic failures at multiple points in the employment of the (advisers) and in post-employment care," she said.

Ottawa hired 81 of these advisers to work from 2006 to 2014 in the war-torn country on prolonged deployments outside the safe zones of military bases. Many would later struggle to access benefits and supports because they aren't covered by the same policies as military members.

"The federal government made a commitment to these employees when they hired them," Hynes said. "They sent them overseas, they deployed them outside the wire, they put them in harm's way, and then when they came back, they found themselves unable to access the care and benefits that they needed."

Her office has been raising this issue with the federal government for years. But while Defence Minister Bill Blair has pledged support, Ottawa has so far failed to act.

Ottawa's response to former advisers seeking compensation has been to direct them to the Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). Many advisers say they've struggled and failed to get the provincial bureaucracy to advance their claims.

Of all the WSIB claims filed by former advisers, only three led to financial compensation and 13 qualified for some level of health-care benefits, Hynes said.

Blair's written response to the report said he "regret(s) the injuries that several" suffered due to their deployments and the department now has measures in place limiting civilian deployment time.

But Hynes said Blair's response to her recommendations left her "very unclear" about how Ottawa's plan for the advisers will "meet the spirit" of her recommendations.

She called her report her last option to spur the government into action.

"I was hoping that clearly laying out the evidence, showing the timeline, showing the policy gaps — I really hoped that would prompt action, but I would note that there's no requirement for the government to follow the recommendations made by our office," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August
Home sales in Greater Vancouver fell 17.1 per cent in August from the same period last year, according to the latest statistics. Greater Vancouver Realtors says there were a total of 19-hundred-and-four homes sold in the region last month, down from almost 23-hundred last year.

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief
Chief Constable Adam Palmer says the suspect, a 34-year-old White Rock man, appears to be "very troubled" and police are looking into whether mental health was a factor in this morning's "horrific" attacks. He says the man, who had a history of assaulting police and social workers, was tracked down with the help of a drone and arrested at Habitat Island, near the Olympic Village.

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events
Parkland Corp. has released a review into an unplanned shutdown of its Burnaby, B.C., refinery in January that blanketed parts of Metro Vancouver with a foul stench. The review released last week says unusually cold weather triggered a series of events leading to the release of a noxious odour that generated more than 100 complaints from residents.

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Man sentenced in child pornography

Man sentenced in child pornography
A New Westminster man has been sentenced to 10 months in jail after pleading guilty to possession child pornography. Police say 51-year-old Scott Harrison was originally arrested in April 2020 after officers begun investigating a case of child porn being uploaded onto the Internet.

Man sentenced in child pornography

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks
Vancouver police say a man has been arrested after a pair of "unprovoked stranger attacks" in the city's downtown that left one man dead and severed another victim's hand. Chief Constable Adam Palmer says police believe the early morning attacks near the Queen Elizabeth Theatre were "completely random," and that such incidents "shake our collective sense of comfort and safety."

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has "ripped up" the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. In a video posted Wednesday afternoon, Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals