Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa to launch $6B infrastructure fund to help build homes — with strings attached

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Apr, 2024 09:56 AM
  • Ottawa to launch $6B infrastructure fund to help build homes — with strings attached

The upcoming federal budget will include a $6-billion infrastructure fund to support homebuilding as well as a $400 million top-up to the housing accelerator fund, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

Trudeau was in Dartmouth, N.S., alongside Housing Minister Sean Fraser as part of the government's pre-budget tour, which aims to drum up attention and win back support on cost-of-living issues.

"Building more homes faster — this is how we'll address the shortage of housing options for Canadians, and this is how we'll make it fairer for younger generations who feel like they're falling behind because housing costs are too high," Trudeau said.

The federal government said $1 billion would be directly available to cities for urgent infrastructure needs, while $5 billion would be allocated toward agreements with provinces and territories to support long-term priorities.

But the Liberals are attaching strings to the funding available for provinces and territories, noting the money will only flow if they commit to set of actions.

Those actions include adopting the recently announced renters' bill of rights, which would create a national standard lease agreement and require landlords to disclose previous rent prices.

The federal government is also demanding that provinces and territories freeze development charges for three years and require municipalities to broadly allow the construction of fourplexes.

The deadline to secure a deal will be Jan. 1, 2025 for provinces and April 1, 2025 for territories.

If a province or territory doesn't secure a deal by those deadlines, their funding will be transferred to the municipal stream of the infrastructure fund, the government said.

The upcoming budget will also add more funding to the existing housing accelerator fund.

The first $4-billion phase of the fund saw Ottawa striking deals with cities and offering money in exchange for changes to municipal bylaws and regulations that are supposed to boost homebuilding.

Liberals also say future public-transit funding will require municipalities to meet certain criteria, including eliminating all mandatory minimum parking requirements and allowing high-density housing within 800 metres of a high-frequency transit line.

MORE National ARTICLES

Heat wave to hit BC

Heat wave to hit BC
Fraser Heath says a coming heat wave is set to hit B-C's Fraser Canyon, warning of temperatures forecasted to hit the mid-30s into the weekend. The health authority says Environment and Climate Change Canada's heat warning covers the communities of Lytton, North Bend, Boston Bar, Yale, Othello and Sunshine Valley.   

Heat wave to hit BC

Surrey RCMP say one person injured in shooting, believed linked to drug trade

Surrey RCMP say one person injured in shooting, believed linked to drug trade
One person is being treated in hospital for a non-life-threatening injury after a shooting in Surrey, B.C., Wednesday afternoon. Police were called to the 80 Avenue and Fleetwood Park area just before 6 p.m. for reports of two groups of men shooting at each other.

Surrey RCMP say one person injured in shooting, believed linked to drug trade

Victims of fatal 2021 B.C. library stabbing describe shattered lives at sentencing

Victims of fatal 2021 B.C. library stabbing describe shattered lives at sentencing
Yannick Bandaogo, 30, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and several attempted murder charges earlier this year. Several victims spoke before Justice Geoffrey R.J. Gaul of the B.C. Supreme Court on Wednesday, including the mother of the lone victim killed in the attack.  

Victims of fatal 2021 B.C. library stabbing describe shattered lives at sentencing

B.C. health registry expansion aims to connect patients with family doctors: minister

B.C. health registry expansion aims to connect patients with family doctors: minister
Health Minister Adrian Dix says the expanded Health Connect Registry, which launched July 1, aims to make it easier for B.C. patients to get a family doctor or nurse practitioner in their community by signing up for a primary-care provider.

B.C. health registry expansion aims to connect patients with family doctors: minister

Delta woman charged with fraud

Delta woman charged with fraud
31-year-old Tarndeep Uppal, of North Delta, has been charged with one count of theft of credit card and identity information. Fourteen counts of fraud under $5000. Uppal has been released with conditions not to possess credit cards, identification or data in any other name but her own.

Delta woman charged with fraud

B.C. officials warn of lightning-caused wildfires expected this week

B.C. officials warn of lightning-caused wildfires expected this week
Cliff Chapman, operations director for the BC Wildfire Service, said the lightning that's expected to be "widespread" across the province is more likely to hit higher, mountainous terrain, but strikes are also possible in or around communities.

B.C. officials warn of lightning-caused wildfires expected this week