Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa to launch $6B infrastructure fund to help build homes — with strings attached

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Apr, 2024 09:56 AM
  • Ottawa to launch $6B infrastructure fund to help build homes — with strings attached

The upcoming federal budget will include a $6-billion infrastructure fund to support homebuilding as well as a $400 million top-up to the housing accelerator fund, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

Trudeau was in Dartmouth, N.S., alongside Housing Minister Sean Fraser as part of the government's pre-budget tour, which aims to drum up attention and win back support on cost-of-living issues.

"Building more homes faster — this is how we'll address the shortage of housing options for Canadians, and this is how we'll make it fairer for younger generations who feel like they're falling behind because housing costs are too high," Trudeau said.

The federal government said $1 billion would be directly available to cities for urgent infrastructure needs, while $5 billion would be allocated toward agreements with provinces and territories to support long-term priorities.

But the Liberals are attaching strings to the funding available for provinces and territories, noting the money will only flow if they commit to set of actions.

Those actions include adopting the recently announced renters' bill of rights, which would create a national standard lease agreement and require landlords to disclose previous rent prices.

The federal government is also demanding that provinces and territories freeze development charges for three years and require municipalities to broadly allow the construction of fourplexes.

The deadline to secure a deal will be Jan. 1, 2025 for provinces and April 1, 2025 for territories.

If a province or territory doesn't secure a deal by those deadlines, their funding will be transferred to the municipal stream of the infrastructure fund, the government said.

The upcoming budget will also add more funding to the existing housing accelerator fund.

The first $4-billion phase of the fund saw Ottawa striking deals with cities and offering money in exchange for changes to municipal bylaws and regulations that are supposed to boost homebuilding.

Liberals also say future public-transit funding will require municipalities to meet certain criteria, including eliminating all mandatory minimum parking requirements and allowing high-density housing within 800 metres of a high-frequency transit line.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people
Health Minister Adrian Dix said Tuesday that the funding to BC Hydro will provide up to 8,000 air-conditioning units over the next three years, but if demand increases, that number could also go up.  Dix said people can apply for the units on their own or health officials working with elderly people will be able to help them get a unit. 

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people

3 dead in South Surrey collision

3 dead in South Surrey collision
On Sunday at approximately 2:45 am, Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a two-vehicle collision in the 3300-block of 176 Street. On Monday afternoon, the third occupant of the Hyundai, who was previously in critical condition died of their injuries. 

3 dead in South Surrey collision

Ottawa widens pathways for attracting tech talent

Ottawa widens pathways for attracting tech talent
Immigration Minister Sean Fraser revealed the Tech Talent Strategy, which includes a new, dedicated pathway for permanent residents targeting employees and workers in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) sectors.

Ottawa widens pathways for attracting tech talent

Wildfire above Highway 99 in West Vancouver now 'held' after route closed Monday

Wildfire above Highway 99 in West Vancouver now 'held' after route closed Monday
An aerial attack by the wildfire service and efforts on the ground by West Vancouver Fire and Rescue helped confine the blaze to about one hectare. It is now officially termed as "being held," with further spread is unlikely.

Wildfire above Highway 99 in West Vancouver now 'held' after route closed Monday

Man hurt in home invasion dies: Prince George RCMP

Man hurt in home invasion dies: Prince George RCMP
R-C-M-P in Prince George said the man suffered life-threatening injuries during the home invasion on June 19th and a woman who was with him was also severely hurt but is expected to survive.

Man hurt in home invasion dies: Prince George RCMP

Canada celebrates Multiculturalism Day

Canada celebrates Multiculturalism Day
“As we celebrate Canadian Multiculturalism Day, we celebrate Canadians of all backgrounds, and we recommit to fostering an inclusive and welcoming society, where everyone has equal opportunity. Let’s stand together, united in our commitment to upholding the principles of fairness and equity for all.”

Canada celebrates Multiculturalism Day