Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa wants results from health spending: PM

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jul, 2022 02:09 PM
  • Ottawa wants results from health spending: PM

VICTORIA - Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government wants to make sure billions of dollars transferred to the provinces and territories for health care will "deliver real, tangible results for Canadians" with shorter wait times and better services.

He says there have been "huge investments" by provincial and federal governments in the past "that haven't always delivered" the necessary improvements.

Trudeau also says he doesn't think any of his predecessors have met with the premiers about health care as much as he has over the last two years, and the leaders will continue to work together to address "pressures" in the system.

His remarks come a day after the 13 premiers wrapped up two days of talks in Victoria, united in frustration that Trudeau won't meet with them to renegotiate funding for what they say is a "crumbling" health system.

Several premiers, including Ontario's Doug Ford and B.C.'s John Horgan, expressed frustration at the end of their meetings that federal ministers had discussed the health funding issues with the media without sitting down with them.

Horgan says the premiers are happy to talk about potential conditions on the money the federal government gives, and best practices, but they first need to meet in person with Trudeau and his government.

He says health care is the top cost-driver for provincial and territorial budgets and stable, long-term funding is required to "reimagine" Canada's health system, so there's no debate about what they would do with the additional funding.

However, Horgan says there are different priorities in each jurisdiction, and a province where the population is aging may focus more on long-term care than another.

Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says none of the provinces and territories are trying to "scrimp on a health-care budget and divert money somewhere else," and the only thing hampering progress is the lack of discussions with Ottawa.

Canadians don't care where the money comes from, they just want the different levels of government to come together and take action, Ford told the closing news conference for the premiers' Council of the Federation gathering on Tuesday.

The premiers have asked the federal government to increase its share of long-term health funding to 35 per cent, up from 22 per cent.

Trudeau says Ottawa has added $72 billion in health-care funding over the past two years, on top of the tens of billions provided through the Canada health transfer.

MORE National ARTICLES

Class action against RCMP for bullying to proceed

Class action against RCMP for bullying to proceed
The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear an appeal from the federal government trying to stop a class action against the RCMP over bullying and harassment. Last fall the Federal Court of Appeal upheld a judge's order certifying the class action.

Class action against RCMP for bullying to proceed

Vaccinated travellers won't need COVID-19 test to enter Canada as of April 1

Vaccinated travellers won't need COVID-19 test to enter Canada as of April 1
 The change is being made at the tail end of the Omicron wave in Canada, as new reported cases of COVID-19 have declined since mid-January. Duclos said the change is possible because of Canada's high vaccination rates and fewer cases of the virus being detected at the border.

Vaccinated travellers won't need COVID-19 test to enter Canada as of April 1

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine
The World Health Organization says it expects to reject the COVID-19 vaccine candidate from Canada's Medicago because of the company's ties to big tobacco. The two-dose Medicago Covifenz vaccine was authorized in Canada last month for adults between 18 and 64 years old.

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey
Based on an inspection it was determined that the vehicles were intentionally lit on fire. Although this incident appears to be targeted, a motive has not yet been determined and the vehicle owners are not known to police.

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 329 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 51 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, eight new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,953.

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth has appointed a three-person team including two former deputy ministers and a public policy consultant to do the review.

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response