Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa wants results from health spending: PM

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jul, 2022 02:09 PM
  • Ottawa wants results from health spending: PM

VICTORIA - Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government wants to make sure billions of dollars transferred to the provinces and territories for health care will "deliver real, tangible results for Canadians" with shorter wait times and better services.

He says there have been "huge investments" by provincial and federal governments in the past "that haven't always delivered" the necessary improvements.

Trudeau also says he doesn't think any of his predecessors have met with the premiers about health care as much as he has over the last two years, and the leaders will continue to work together to address "pressures" in the system.

His remarks come a day after the 13 premiers wrapped up two days of talks in Victoria, united in frustration that Trudeau won't meet with them to renegotiate funding for what they say is a "crumbling" health system.

Several premiers, including Ontario's Doug Ford and B.C.'s John Horgan, expressed frustration at the end of their meetings that federal ministers had discussed the health funding issues with the media without sitting down with them.

Horgan says the premiers are happy to talk about potential conditions on the money the federal government gives, and best practices, but they first need to meet in person with Trudeau and his government.

He says health care is the top cost-driver for provincial and territorial budgets and stable, long-term funding is required to "reimagine" Canada's health system, so there's no debate about what they would do with the additional funding.

However, Horgan says there are different priorities in each jurisdiction, and a province where the population is aging may focus more on long-term care than another.

Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says none of the provinces and territories are trying to "scrimp on a health-care budget and divert money somewhere else," and the only thing hampering progress is the lack of discussions with Ottawa.

Canadians don't care where the money comes from, they just want the different levels of government to come together and take action, Ford told the closing news conference for the premiers' Council of the Federation gathering on Tuesday.

The premiers have asked the federal government to increase its share of long-term health funding to 35 per cent, up from 22 per cent.

Trudeau says Ottawa has added $72 billion in health-care funding over the past two years, on top of the tens of billions provided through the Canada health transfer.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation
Dr. Bonnie Henry said last week the province was better positioned to consider removing pandemic restrictions before students begin spring break on Monday.

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report
 The death review panel report released Wednesday by chief coroner Lisa Lapointe's office sets a deadline of May 9 for the government to create a safer supply policy in collaboration with the BC Centre for Disease Control and the BC Centre on Substance Use.

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 405 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 58 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, 14 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,929.

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male
Wong was a young athlete and a promising student on the night of January 13, 2018, when he was struck by a stray bullet while riding in the back of his parents’ car. He was critically injured and died days later in hospital. Whiteside was also killed in the shooting.

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school
All incidents occurred in the morning between 8:20 to 8:30 a.m. The suspect is described as South Asian, 30-40 years old, medium complexion, dark hair, 5’10, average build, with facial stubble and a moustache.  

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership
Roman Baber will launch his campaign Wednesday evening, and says he considers himself to be the underdog in the party's contest, competing against well-known federal Conservatives like Pierre Poilievre and Leslyn Lewis. Former Quebec premier Jean Charest is also planning to enter the race Thursday.    

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership