Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Out-of-province fire crews head to B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Jul, 2021 09:45 AM
  • Out-of-province fire crews head to B.C.

Firefighting teams from Ontario and New Brunswick are arriving in British Columbia to assist with devastating wildfires.

The BC Wildfire Service says the nearly 100 out-of-province members must pass COVID-19 safety checks before being sent into the field.

Public Safety Canada also says it has committed the Armed Forces for airlift support to carry crews, supplies and equipment in and out of fire zones and to assist with emergency evacuations if needed.

The wildfire service says 196 active wildfires are currently burning in B.C., with at least 40 sparked over the weekend.

Evacuation orders are in place because of five of those wildfires, including one near Lytton, where a fire that destroyed much of the village last Wednesday covers 76 square kilometres but didn't grow significantly Sunday.

Separate fires north of Kamloops and east of 100 Mile House have also forced hundreds of people from their homes and prompted evacuation alerts for hundreds more.

A non-profit agency that co-ordinates interprovincial aid and resources warns more difficult days lie ahead in B.C.

"Anticipating multiple fire starts each day over the next (three) days," says the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre in its report issued Sunday.

Environment Canada is maintaining heat warnings for several B.C. regions, including areas where many of the most threatening wildfires continue to burn.

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair took to social media regarding the wildfire situation in BC.

Daytime highs of 35 C and nighttime lows barely falling below 20 C increase the risk of wildfires due to drought conditions, says the weather office.

Lightning is in Monday's forecast for many of the at-risk regions, with a chance of showers.

The weather agency predicts the heat wave that began last month will continue at least through Monday night.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP drug investigation results in seizure of firearms, Fentanyl and cash

Surrey RCMP drug investigation results in seizure of firearms, Fentanyl and cash
On May 18, 2021, a male related to the South Surrey residence was arrested and found in possession of 8.8 grams of methamphetamine, 7 grams of Fentanyl, $895 cash, and a Karambit knife which is a prohibited weapon.

Surrey RCMP drug investigation results in seizure of firearms, Fentanyl and cash

Arrests surpass 100 at B.C. logging protests: RCMP

Arrests surpass 100 at B.C. logging protests: RCMP
The Mounties say more than 100 people have been arrested since enforcement of the court injunction began last week to allow workers with the Teal-Jones Group to resume logging in that area and in the Fairy Creek watershed to the south, near Port Renfrew.    

Arrests surpass 100 at B.C. logging protests: RCMP

Don't let AstraZeneca vaccines go to waste: Hajdu

Don't let AstraZeneca vaccines go to waste: Hajdu
The federal government is urging provinces not to waste thousands of doses of AstraZeneca vaccine that are due to expire in a few days.

Don't let AstraZeneca vaccines go to waste: Hajdu

Flight 752 victims harassed by Iran, report says

Flight 752 victims harassed by Iran, report says
In all, 176 people were killed when an Iranian surface-to-air missile shot down a passenger jet destined for Kyiv minutes after takeoff from Tehran on Jan. 8, 2020.

Flight 752 victims harassed by Iran, report says

G7 condemns Belarus, threatens sanctions

G7 condemns Belarus, threatens sanctions
In a statement Thursday, the countries' foreign ministers along with a European Union representative said they will impose "further sanctions as appropriate," condemning the act as an attack on press freedom and civil aviation rules.

G7 condemns Belarus, threatens sanctions

Trudeau delivers apology to Italian Canadians

Trudeau delivers apology to Italian Canadians
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau formally apologized on Thursday for the internment of Canadians of Italian descent during the Second World War, saying the community has carried the weight of the unjust policy for generations.

Trudeau delivers apology to Italian Canadians