Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pakistan As A Terrorist Safe Haven No Longer Acceptable: CIA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 08 Jan, 2018 12:00 AM
    CIA chief Mike Pompeo has said that Pakistan continues to provide safe havens to terrorists, which is not acceptable to America.
     
    US President Donald Trump has asked Pakistan to "cease" being a safe haven for terrorists that threaten the US, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director said yesterday.
     
    The US has suspended about USD 2 billion in security aid to Pakistan for failing to clamp down on the Afghan Taliban and the Haqqani terror network and dismantle their safe havens.
     
    The freezing of all security assistance to Pakistan comes after President Donald Trump in a New Year's day tweet accused Islamabad of giving nothing to the US but "lies and deceit" and providing "safe haven" to terrorists in return for USD 33 billion aid over the last 15 years.
     
    "We see the Pakistanis continuing to provide safe harbour, havens inside of Pakistan for terrorists who present risks to the United States of America," Mr Pompeo was quoted as saying by the CBS news.
     
     
     
    "We are doing our best to inform the Pakistanis that this is no longer going to be acceptable. So this conditioned aid, we have given them a chance. If they fix this problem, we are happy to continue to engage with them and be their partner. But if they don't, we're going to protect America," he said.
     
    The CIA director was responding to questions on the recent decision of the Trump administration to suspend approximately USD 2 billion in security aid to Pakistan.
     
    "The president has made very clear that he needs Pakistan to cease being a safe haven for terrorists that threaten the United States of America, end, period, full stop," Mr Pompeo said, reflecting the stand taken by President Trump.
     
    The security assistance can be restored if Pakistan takes decisive actions against terrorists

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Up In Smoke: Calgary Judge Dismisses Charges Against Vancouver Pot Activist

    Up In Smoke: Calgary Judge Dismisses Charges Against Vancouver Pot Activist
    A Calgary judge has dismissed all charges against a well-known Vancouver marijuana activist who had been accused of trafficking and drug possession.

    Up In Smoke: Calgary Judge Dismisses Charges Against Vancouver Pot Activist

    Lawyers To Seek Temporary Reprieve Today From Quebec's Face-Veil Law

    Lawyers To Seek Temporary Reprieve Today From Quebec's Face-Veil Law
    A Quebec woman, the National Council of Canadian Muslims and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association launched a challenge last week.

    Lawyers To Seek Temporary Reprieve Today From Quebec's Face-Veil Law

    RCMP Investigation At B.C. Ice Rink Continues One Month After Fatal Leak

    RCMP Investigation At B.C. Ice Rink Continues One Month After Fatal Leak
    FERNIE, B.C. — There's no word on when residents of the southeastern B.C., community of Fernie will have access to a rink where three men died of an ammonia leak a month ago.

    RCMP Investigation At B.C. Ice Rink Continues One Month After Fatal Leak

    Federal Government Earmark $327m Over Five Years To Fight Gun, Gang Violence

    Federal Government Earmark $327m Over Five Years To Fight Gun, Gang Violence
    OTTAWA — Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says the federal government is allocating up to $327.6 million over five years and $100 million a year after that to fight gun and gang violence.

    Federal Government Earmark $327m Over Five Years To Fight Gun, Gang Violence

    WATCH: In Vancouver Angelina Jolie Urges Un To Renew Efforts To Stop Sexual Violence In War

    WATCH: In Vancouver Angelina Jolie Urges Un To Renew Efforts To Stop Sexual Violence In War
    The Academy Award-winning actress was addressing foreign dignitaries and military officials attending the two-day United Nations peacekeeping summit, where the role of women in preventing conflict figured prominently.

    WATCH: In Vancouver Angelina Jolie Urges Un To Renew Efforts To Stop Sexual Violence In War

    Vancouver Police Arrest Man Caught Breaking Into Home Under Construction

    Vancouver Police Arrest Man Caught Breaking Into Home Under Construction
    A 37-year-old man is in jail after police watched him allegedly break into a home under construction on Vancouver’s west side on Monday evening. The suspect was arrested as he removed building supplies from the home.

    Vancouver Police Arrest Man Caught Breaking Into Home Under Construction