Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pakistan As A Terrorist Safe Haven No Longer Acceptable: CIA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 08 Jan, 2018 12:00 AM
    CIA chief Mike Pompeo has said that Pakistan continues to provide safe havens to terrorists, which is not acceptable to America.
     
    US President Donald Trump has asked Pakistan to "cease" being a safe haven for terrorists that threaten the US, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director said yesterday.
     
    The US has suspended about USD 2 billion in security aid to Pakistan for failing to clamp down on the Afghan Taliban and the Haqqani terror network and dismantle their safe havens.
     
    The freezing of all security assistance to Pakistan comes after President Donald Trump in a New Year's day tweet accused Islamabad of giving nothing to the US but "lies and deceit" and providing "safe haven" to terrorists in return for USD 33 billion aid over the last 15 years.
     
    "We see the Pakistanis continuing to provide safe harbour, havens inside of Pakistan for terrorists who present risks to the United States of America," Mr Pompeo was quoted as saying by the CBS news.
     
     
     
    "We are doing our best to inform the Pakistanis that this is no longer going to be acceptable. So this conditioned aid, we have given them a chance. If they fix this problem, we are happy to continue to engage with them and be their partner. But if they don't, we're going to protect America," he said.
     
    The CIA director was responding to questions on the recent decision of the Trump administration to suspend approximately USD 2 billion in security aid to Pakistan.
     
    "The president has made very clear that he needs Pakistan to cease being a safe haven for terrorists that threaten the United States of America, end, period, full stop," Mr Pompeo said, reflecting the stand taken by President Trump.
     
    The security assistance can be restored if Pakistan takes decisive actions against terrorists

    MORE National ARTICLES

    VISAFF 2017 to be held in Surrey during November

    VISAFF 2017 to be held in Surrey during November
    VISAFF runs from Nov. 16-19 and will screen a host of international and Canadian films through the four day event.

    VISAFF 2017 to be held in Surrey during November

    Oscar Arfmann, Accused In Murder Of Abbotsford Police Officer, Fought Mental Illness

    Oscar Arfmann, Accused In Murder Of Abbotsford Police Officer, Fought Mental Illness
     A family member of an Alberta man charged with the first-degree murder of a British Columbia police officer say the accused had been struggling since losing his wife five years ago.

    Oscar Arfmann, Accused In Murder Of Abbotsford Police Officer, Fought Mental Illness

    B.C. Outreach Group Partners With App Developer To Improve Safety Of Sex Workers

    B.C. Outreach Group Partners With App Developer To Improve Safety Of Sex Workers
    VANCOUVER — An outreach group supporting vulnerable women in British Columbia is hoping a cellphone app designed to monitor remote workers in resource industries will help keep sex workers safe.

    B.C. Outreach Group Partners With App Developer To Improve Safety Of Sex Workers

    Saskatchewan Police Website Hacked By Apparent Supporters Of Islamic Militants

    Saskatchewan Police Website Hacked By Apparent Supporters Of Islamic Militants
    PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. — Police in Prince Albert, Sask., say their website has been hacked by apparent supporters of ISIL.

    Saskatchewan Police Website Hacked By Apparent Supporters Of Islamic Militants

    Hit The Road: Alberta Landlord Wins Battle To Boot Squatter From Property

    Hit The Road: Alberta Landlord Wins Battle To Boot Squatter From Property
    CARDSTON, Alta. — A southern Alberta landlord has won his battle to remove a squatter living in a small shack sitting on a trailer on the man's rental property.

    Hit The Road: Alberta Landlord Wins Battle To Boot Squatter From Property

    Shame, Guilt And Disgust: Victims Of Ex-Ski Coach Bertrand Charest Give Emotional Impact Statements

    Shame, Guilt And Disgust: Victims Of Ex-Ski Coach Bertrand Charest Give Emotional Impact Statements
    SAINT-JEROME, Que. — Sex-assault victims of ex-ski coach Bertrand Charest delivered emotional impact statements Tuesday, with one telling the court he had robbed her of her childhood and acted like a predator.

    Shame, Guilt And Disgust: Victims Of Ex-Ski Coach Bertrand Charest Give Emotional Impact Statements