Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pandemic anniversary reminder to be vigilant

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2022 01:37 PM
  • Pandemic anniversary reminder to be vigilant

OTTAWA - The news conference at the beginning of 2020 wasn’t all that different from the many Dr. Howard Njoo had held in the past.

The public health veteran helped to manage the first avian flu cases in 2004 and was on hand for the XL Foods recall of more than 1.8 million kilograms of beef linked to E. coli in Canada and the United States in 2012.

This time, the deputy chief public health officer and his chief, Dr. Theresa Tam, were there to inform Canadians of the first case of the novel coronavirus in Canada.

Looking back, Njoo said he doesn’t think he or Tam appreciated at the time how the virus would escalate. Certainly, he had no idea he and Tam would still be giving weekly news conferences two years later.

But something in the back of his mind told him, "This is not as straightforward and easy to control."

Only a few weeks later, on March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic and life in Canada has not been the same since.

On the second anniversary of the pandemic, more than 88 per cent of eligible Canadians are vaccinated with at least one dose against the virus that has killed more than 37,000 people in the country.

Now, as Canada embarks on its third year in a global pandemic, Njoo said Canadians need to remain vigilant.

The bitter anniversary comes at the tail end of the biggest wave of COVID-19 yet. The Omicron variant swept through Canada and much of the rest of the world in staggering numbers, infecting even vaccinated people.

Now that the weather is warming and the worst of the Omicron wave is behind them, many provinces have begun to do away with public health measures like vaccine passports and masks.

Some have even begun to talk about a potential post-pandemic recovery.

While Njoo has gone so far as to allow himself to look forward to the summer, he's still braced for next fall and said Canadians should be too.

"What we don't know yet is what might happen with, who knows, another variant coming along that is worse than Omicron," Njoo said in an interview.

He believes Canada is fairly well prepared for a potential resurgence of COVID-19. Lab capacity is in good shape, and public health is more adept at looking for early signs of change in community wastewater, he said.

What may be most difficult is figuring out how much risk Canada is willing to tolerate long-term, he said, since it doesn't look like the virus is going to go away.

"There will be morbidity, mortality, hospitalization. We want to keep it at a manageable level while still in many ways trying to return as much as possible to the normality we had before," he said.

Despite the gains, Njoo said there are still gaps that leave Canada vulnerable to the next crisis.

Data gathering and sharing between provinces has been a major weakness that prevented Canadian health officials from getting a detailed birds-eye view of the situation on the ground.

As it stands now, daily public updates on the number of cases of COVID-19 in Canada do not even include figures from every province because Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia only report their data weekly.

An expert advisory group has been tasked with developing a new strategy to modernize Canada's health data systems and allow for better national information sharing. But governments have tried to come together on data sharing before and it hasn't worked out.

"From a technological point of view, I think it's all doable," Njoo said. "I think it's, as you say for many cases, political will."

Already the even more transmissible subvariant of Omicron, BA.2, is gaining ground.

At the same time, another sinister public health threat creeps nearer: antimicrobial resistance.

“Can you imagine the world in sort of like the pre-antibiotic era? That's what we're going to return to at some point if we don’t make changes now," Njoo said.

For now, public health is of major national interest and Njoo and Tam are household names.

But as life gets closer to normal, Njoo warned there's a risk people will turn their attention elsewhere.

That's what happened when he was doing clinical work with tuberculosis, he said. As cases improved in the United States, attention waned. Then the resources began to disappear and the problem returned.

Of course, the question most Canadians want answered as the third year of the pandemic begins is whether there will be a fourth.

Ending COVID-19 on a global scale will be a massive undertaking, dependent, at least in part, in administering vaccines equitably and overcoming vaccine hesitancy all over the world.

As for whether Njoo will still be sitting in front a microphone with Tam before the nation to address the COVID-19 crisis in Canada next year, he offered the same refrain he's delivered many times over the past two years.

"You hope for the best, but plan for the worst."

MORE National ARTICLES

Help for farmers being announced after B.C. floods

Help for farmers being announced after B.C. floods
Record rains combined with overflowing rivers in mid-November swamped farmland in several areas of southern B.C. and Vancouver Island. In the Sumas Prairie, a prime agricultural area in Abbotsford, water flooded barns, fields and homes.

Help for farmers being announced after B.C. floods

Kevin Falcon wins B.C. Liberal leadership race

Kevin Falcon wins B.C. Liberal leadership race
Falcon won on the fifth ballot, taking just over 52 per cent of the points available in a sometimes fractious leadership race where the former minister appeared to be the focus of attacks as the perceived front-runner.

Kevin Falcon wins B.C. Liberal leadership race

Lifting COVID measures requires balance: Tam

Lifting COVID measures requires balance: Tam
Vaccine mandates are not meant to be a punishment, federal Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said Friday at the briefing. Rather they are meant to protect people and incentivize them to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

Lifting COVID measures requires balance: Tam

GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser

GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser
The move could deny participants a vital source of funds as Ottawa braces for a new wave of protesters slated to arrive in the national capital this weekend. GoFundMe says it supports peaceful protest and that it believes that was the initial intention of the Ottawa event.    

GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser

Canfor unions reach deal setting pattern in West

Canfor unions reach deal setting pattern in West
Unifor and the Public and Private Workers of Canada say the four-year deal for 900 workers at Canfor will provide a $5,000 signing bonus plus wage increases of 2.5 per cent, 2.5 per cent, and three per cent in the following three years.

Canfor unions reach deal setting pattern in West

1,799 COVID19 cases for Friday

1,799 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are currently 25,479 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 301,573 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 946 COVID-positive individuals are currently in hospital and 139 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

1,799 COVID19 cases for Friday