Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parent, grandparent visa program relaunched

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Oct, 2020 08:58 PM
  • Parent, grandparent visa program relaunched

A popular immigration program that allows people to sponsor their parents or grandparents to come to Canada is reverting to a lottery system.

Federal Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino announced the relaunch of the parent and grandparent program today, saying it will open for applications on Oct. 13.

It ordinarily opens in January but was delayed this year as officials sought to revamp the system after a first-come, first-served approach buckled under excessive demand last year.

A lottery system had been used before that but it led to widespread frustration that people's efforts to bring their families to Canada were basically reduced to a game of chance.

The launch of a new system for this year was further delayed by the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and a decision was made to revert to a lottery to get the program underway. The government says it will accept 10,000 applications this year but pledges to increase that to 30,000 next year.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. updates September return to school plans

B.C. updates September return to school plans
The British Columbia government is set to announce its updated plan for a safe return for public schools during the COVID-19 pandemic.

B.C. updates September return to school plans

Vancouver resident finds lost teddy bear containing her mother's voice recording

Vancouver resident finds lost teddy bear containing her mother's voice recording
Mara Soriano has spent the last four days checking the alleys and dumpsters of Vancouver's West End, putting up posters and answering multitudes of emails and tweets, hoping she'd find a stolen teddy bear that carries her late mother's voice.

Vancouver resident finds lost teddy bear containing her mother's voice recording

Development and Construction Remain Strong in Surrey

Development and Construction Remain Strong in Surrey
More than $692 million in development projects were given approval to proceed by Surrey City Council at last night’s Regular Council – Land Use Meeting. The projects that were brought forward range from high rise residential towers, rental apartments, townhouses to industrial warehouses.

Development and Construction Remain Strong in Surrey

Ex-cop accused of sex charges dead: Quebec police

Ex-cop accused of sex charges dead: Quebec police
A retired Montreal police officer arrested in December on sex-related charges dating back to the 1970s, died before his case could go to trial, Longueuil police said Tuesday.

Ex-cop accused of sex charges dead: Quebec police

Charges laid against man for sexual assault and robbery in Whalley

Charges laid against man for sexual assault and robbery in Whalley
On July 24, 2020, a 30-year-old man, was arrested and taken into police custody. On Saturday, July 25, 2020, several charges were sworn in BC Provincial Court.

Charges laid against man for sexual assault and robbery in Whalley

B.C. tech companies get $3 million from feds

B.C. tech companies get $3 million from feds
British Columbia's small- and medium-sized technology businesses are getting some financial help from the federal government.

B.C. tech companies get $3 million from feds