Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parent, grandparent visa program relaunched

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Oct, 2020 08:58 PM
  • Parent, grandparent visa program relaunched

A popular immigration program that allows people to sponsor their parents or grandparents to come to Canada is reverting to a lottery system.

Federal Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino announced the relaunch of the parent and grandparent program today, saying it will open for applications on Oct. 13.

It ordinarily opens in January but was delayed this year as officials sought to revamp the system after a first-come, first-served approach buckled under excessive demand last year.

A lottery system had been used before that but it led to widespread frustration that people's efforts to bring their families to Canada were basically reduced to a game of chance.

The launch of a new system for this year was further delayed by the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and a decision was made to revert to a lottery to get the program underway. The government says it will accept 10,000 applications this year but pledges to increase that to 30,000 next year.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. final 2019-20 budget turns to deficit

B.C. final 2019-20 budget turns to deficit
The government's final budget numbers show a deficit of $321 million from a projected surplus of $274 million for the 2019-20 budget.

B.C. final 2019-20 budget turns to deficit

CBSA seizes $58,000 worth of opium poppy plants at Pacific Highway Border

CBSA seizes $58,000 worth of opium poppy plants at Pacific Highway Border
After X-ray imaging of the tractor and trailer revealed anomalies, officers continued their examination and located seven boxes of suspected dried opium poppy plants (including the pods), weighing 29 kg total.

CBSA seizes $58,000 worth of opium poppy plants at Pacific Highway Border

Minister looking into Ortis allegations: PM

Minister looking into Ortis allegations: PM
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Public Safety Minister Bill Blair is looking into allegations the RCMP brushed off warnings about a senior director who was later arrested on national-security charges.

Minister looking into Ortis allegations: PM

N.S. mass shooting: media outlets challenge judge

N.S. mass shooting: media outlets challenge judge
David Coles submitted an application today for a judicial review of decisions Judge Laurel Halfpenny-MacQuarrie made last month, arguing she had exceeded her jurisdiction.

N.S. mass shooting: media outlets challenge judge

Trudeau denounces Macdonald statue vandalism

Trudeau denounces Macdonald statue vandalism
The Macdonald statue was unbolted, toppled and sprayed with graffiti on Saturday at the end of a protest demanding cities cut police budgets.

Trudeau denounces Macdonald statue vandalism

Alberta woman pleads guilty to manslaughter

Alberta woman pleads guilty to manslaughter
Deborah Doonanco, who is 58, was initially found guilty of second-degree murder, arson and interfering with human remains after Kevin Feland's body was found in her home in Glendon, Alta., in May 2014.

Alberta woman pleads guilty to manslaughter