Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending

Members of Parliament are set to vote on a government request for billions of dollars in funding as the clock ticks down on a deadline.

Last month, the Liberals asked Parliament to approve $21.6 billion in spending through the supplementary estimates.

The money will go to fund the First Nations child and family services program, and to compensate the Quebec government for services for asylum seekers, among other programs.

But there had been uncertainty over whether the vote would even happen before Tuesday's deadline.

Parliament has been paralyzed for months as the Conservatives press the Liberals to hand over documents relating to hundreds of millions of dollars of misspending on a green-tech fund.

The issue is the focus of an ongoing privilege debate, which the Conservatives have pledged to keep going until they get what they want.

Privilege matters take precedence over nearly all other House affairs, so government business has been almost entirely stalled.

In a ruling last week, citing House of Commons rules and procedures, Speaker Greg Fergus said he would exercise his authority to pause the privilege debate so that the vote on government spending can proceed.

Supplementary estimates have to be voted on by Dec. 10, or the government wouldn't have authority to spend additional money.

The debate is set to happen Tuesday evening, and the spending might not go to a vote until Wednesday morning. Per new procedure rules adopted back in February, the government can suspend a sitting day at midnight, pausing proceedings until 9 a.m. the following day if debate on a spending matter isn't finished.

"Oh gosh, I don't want to predetermine anything. I don't want to tempt fate or the universe," government House leader Karina Gould told reporters on Monday when asked how she thinks the vote might play out.

"I'm looking forward to having the vote. There's a lot of really good things in there for Canadians, and it's important we get this done. This is what Parliament is here for."

Among other asks in the supplementary estimates is $561 million for the Department of National Defence for its Canadian multi-mission aircraft project.

"This funding is needed now for quarterly payment under the delivery plan we have with the United States government for the acquisition of up to 16 P-8A Poseidon aircraft," a Defence Department spokesperson said in a statement.

The P-8A Poseidons are to replace Canada’s current maritime patrol aircraft, the CP-140 Aurora, which have been in service for more than 40 years.

"We are expecting first delivery of the aircraft in 2026," a department spokesperson said.

The First Nations child and family services program ask is for $955.2 million, which Indigenous Services Canada says is "to ensure continued compliance with Canadian Human Rights Tribunal orders and allow the continued delivery of supports."

The money for the Quebec asylum seekers is a $581.3 million request through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

All three departments said none of those asks are for money which has already been spent. If the funds aren't approved, the Immigration Department said it might look to dip into government contingency funds to repay the province, while the Defence Department said it could encounter problems meeting contractual obligations and keeping the projects on track.

The outcome of the vote, however, is all but a foregone conclusion. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh told reporters last week his party would vote the supplementary estimates through, since there's additional money for the government's new dental care program — $317 million worth.

MORE National ARTICLES

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast
The BC Wildfire Service says rain, light winds and cooler temperatures are expected to decrease fire behaviour in the province this week, just as a newly discovered blaze in the East Kootenays prompts an evacuation order and alerts for more than 50 properties.

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam
A 56-year-old man is facing a sexual assault charge after what Burnaby R-C-M-P are calling a "cleansing ritual scam". Police say a 29-year-old woman was approached by a man at a Burnaby mall on August 5th.

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds
The Canadian Medical Association says there should be better tracking of health care spending, following health care agreements the federal government has signed with the provinces and territories. The doctors’ group has released a new report calling for a greater commitment to tracking improvements in delivery and patient outcomes, citing the complexity of the deals.

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

4 youth assaulted with bear mace
West Shore Mounties say a 32-year-old man is facing eight charges after a group of four youth were assaulted with bear mace last week. They say officers responded to a report of an assault on Wednesday around on the Galloping Goose Trail.

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight
One person is dead and another has been airlifted to hospital following a crash on Highway 1 in British Columbia. Sgt. Joe Leeson with Langley RCMP says officers were called around 9:40 p.m. Friday night after a tow truck hit the rear of a tractor-trailer unit in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1.  Leeson says the tow-truck driver died at the scene.

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries
The company operating British Columbia's ferries says divers have recovered a propeller that fell off one of its vessels and triggered an oil spill earlier this week, but notes it will take six months to complete the needed repairs. A statement from BC Ferries says the propeller from the 60 year-old Queen of New Westminster -- which weighs about 4,500 kilograms -- was pulled from the seabed Saturday morning after two days of recovery work.

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries