Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole Board Says Marco Muzzo Lacks Insight Into Drinking Issues

The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2018 01:30 PM
    In trying to paint himself as a responsible drinker who made a deadly mistake, a drunk driver who killed three children and their grandfather revealed a lack of insight into his drinking habits and the risk they pose to others, the Parole Board of Canada said Tuesday.
     
     
     
    In a document laying out its reasons for denying Marco Muzzo day and full parole earlier this month, the board said the 32-year-old's reluctance to acknowledge a history of binge drinking and his admission that he does not know what contributed to his alcohol misuse raised red flags.
     
     
    "You have maintained from the very outset that you are not addicted to alcohol and while this may be true, your continued rigidity and lack of insight as to what that definition may mean has prevented you from recognizing that an actual problem exists," the board wrote.
     
     
    "During the hearing, for the first time since you were arrested, you outlined a significant history of binge drinking and this, coupled with your lack of understanding on the issue of impairment, leads the board to conclude your risk remains undue."
     
     
    Muzzo pleaded guilty in 2016 to four counts of impaired driving causing death and two of impaired driving causing bodily harm and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
     
     
    The collision in Vaughan, Ont., claimed the lives of nine-year-old Daniel Neville-Lake, his five-year-old brother Harrison, their two-year-old sister Milly and the children's 65-year-old grandfather, Gary Neville. The children's grandmother and great-grandmother were also seriously injured.
     
     
    The case continues to capture widespread attention, with thousands signing a petition to oppose Muzzo’s potential release.
     
     
    Muzzo's parole hearing in early November took place at the Beaver Creek Institution in Gravenhurst, Ont., where he is held as a minimum security offender. He has a two-month window to appeal the ruling or he must wait a year to reapply for parole.
     
     
    At the hearing, the board pressed Muzzo on an incident that took place in 2012, three years before the fatal crash, but that did not come to light during his court proceedings. Nor was it brought to the attention of his case management team until weeks before the hearing.
     
     
    In that incident, Muzzo and a friend became belligerent and threatening after being barred from a strip club, then tried to kick out the windows of a police cruiser after his arrest. The parole board heard he was charged with public intoxication and held until he sobered up.
     
     
    While Muzzo initially said he had forgotten the incident, in fact, he was "hoping that the incident would never be discussed," the board wrote in its decision.
     
     
    "It would seem you were trying to trying to present yourself as a modest and responsible drinker who had simply made a terrible mistake on the day of the fatal collision," it said.
     
     
    "In the board's view, you intentionally failed to disclose key information as you were hoping to paint yourself in a better light. In reality, you were simply impeding the progress you might have otherwise made."
     
     
    The crash took place in September 2015 after Muzzo returned from a trip to Florida for his bachelor party. His group had travelled on a private plane and Muzzo said at the hearing he had up to four drinks during the flight and had been drinking until 3 a.m. the night before.
     
     
    He picked up his car at Toronto's Pearson International Airport and drove through a stop sign while speeding, T-boning the minivan carrying the Neville-Lake family, his court case heard.
     
     
    Muzzo initially insisted during the hearing that he did not feel impaired at the time but later acknowledged that he should have known better. The board said in its decision he still did not appear to recognize how drunk he was.
     
     
    "While you now accept you were impaired at the time of the collision, you continue to minimize the severity by indicating that many of your behaviours and responses were the result of shock as much as they were due to alcohol consumption," it wrote.
     
     
    The Neville-Lake family has said it questions Muzzo's remorse in light of his statements and the fact that he sought parole at the first opportunity.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Calgary Police Say Crown Has Stayed Criminal Charges Against Three Officers

    Calgary Police Say Crown Has Stayed Criminal Charges Against Three Officers
     The Calgary Police Service says the Alberta Crown has stayed criminal charges against three veteran officers.

    Calgary Police Say Crown Has Stayed Criminal Charges Against Three Officers

    Union Files Grievance Over Public School Teacher Shortage In B.C.

    Union Files Grievance Over Public School Teacher Shortage In B.C.
    VANCOUVER — British Columbia's teachers' union has filed a grievance over the shortage of educators in the province. 

    Union Files Grievance Over Public School Teacher Shortage In B.C.

    Six Months Added To Sentence Of Toronto Officer Convicted In Sammy Yatim Shooting

    Six Months Added To Sentence Of Toronto Officer Convicted In Sammy Yatim Shooting
    TORONTO — A Toronto police officer convicted in the fatal shooting of a troubled teen on an empty streetcar has had six months added to his prison sentence after pleading guilty to perjury, his lawyers said Thursday.

    Six Months Added To Sentence Of Toronto Officer Convicted In Sammy Yatim Shooting

    Doug Ford Won't Say If He Will March In Annual Pride Parade

    SAULT STE MARIE, Ont. — Doug Ford won't say whether he'll march in Toronto's annual Pride parade if he's elected Ontario premier.

    Doug Ford Won't Say If He Will March In Annual Pride Parade

    Letter To Spouse Applying For Permanent Residency 'Offensive,' Jenny Kwan Says

    Letter To Spouse Applying For Permanent Residency 'Offensive,' Jenny Kwan Says
    OTTAWA — A letter sent by a Canadian immigration officer to a couple questioning the legitimacy of their marriage includes language that an NDP MP says is "offensive and insulting."

    Letter To Spouse Applying For Permanent Residency 'Offensive,' Jenny Kwan Says

    Who Is BC's $30M 6/49 Jackpot Winner? It's A Secret

    Who Is BC's $30M 6/49 Jackpot Winner? It's A Secret
    Someone in British Columbia who had the exceedingly rare luck of winning the lottery has also been granted the rare privilege of anonymity due to what the lottery administrator is calling "extraordinary circumstances."

    Who Is BC's $30M 6/49 Jackpot Winner? It's A Secret