Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole Board Says Marco Muzzo Lacks Insight Into Drinking Issues

The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2018 01:30 PM
    In trying to paint himself as a responsible drinker who made a deadly mistake, a drunk driver who killed three children and their grandfather revealed a lack of insight into his drinking habits and the risk they pose to others, the Parole Board of Canada said Tuesday.
     
     
     
    In a document laying out its reasons for denying Marco Muzzo day and full parole earlier this month, the board said the 32-year-old's reluctance to acknowledge a history of binge drinking and his admission that he does not know what contributed to his alcohol misuse raised red flags.
     
     
    "You have maintained from the very outset that you are not addicted to alcohol and while this may be true, your continued rigidity and lack of insight as to what that definition may mean has prevented you from recognizing that an actual problem exists," the board wrote.
     
     
    "During the hearing, for the first time since you were arrested, you outlined a significant history of binge drinking and this, coupled with your lack of understanding on the issue of impairment, leads the board to conclude your risk remains undue."
     
     
    Muzzo pleaded guilty in 2016 to four counts of impaired driving causing death and two of impaired driving causing bodily harm and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
     
     
    The collision in Vaughan, Ont., claimed the lives of nine-year-old Daniel Neville-Lake, his five-year-old brother Harrison, their two-year-old sister Milly and the children's 65-year-old grandfather, Gary Neville. The children's grandmother and great-grandmother were also seriously injured.
     
     
    The case continues to capture widespread attention, with thousands signing a petition to oppose Muzzo’s potential release.
     
     
    Muzzo's parole hearing in early November took place at the Beaver Creek Institution in Gravenhurst, Ont., where he is held as a minimum security offender. He has a two-month window to appeal the ruling or he must wait a year to reapply for parole.
     
     
    At the hearing, the board pressed Muzzo on an incident that took place in 2012, three years before the fatal crash, but that did not come to light during his court proceedings. Nor was it brought to the attention of his case management team until weeks before the hearing.
     
     
    In that incident, Muzzo and a friend became belligerent and threatening after being barred from a strip club, then tried to kick out the windows of a police cruiser after his arrest. The parole board heard he was charged with public intoxication and held until he sobered up.
     
     
    While Muzzo initially said he had forgotten the incident, in fact, he was "hoping that the incident would never be discussed," the board wrote in its decision.
     
     
    "It would seem you were trying to trying to present yourself as a modest and responsible drinker who had simply made a terrible mistake on the day of the fatal collision," it said.
     
     
    "In the board's view, you intentionally failed to disclose key information as you were hoping to paint yourself in a better light. In reality, you were simply impeding the progress you might have otherwise made."
     
     
    The crash took place in September 2015 after Muzzo returned from a trip to Florida for his bachelor party. His group had travelled on a private plane and Muzzo said at the hearing he had up to four drinks during the flight and had been drinking until 3 a.m. the night before.
     
     
    He picked up his car at Toronto's Pearson International Airport and drove through a stop sign while speeding, T-boning the minivan carrying the Neville-Lake family, his court case heard.
     
     
    Muzzo initially insisted during the hearing that he did not feel impaired at the time but later acknowledged that he should have known better. The board said in its decision he still did not appear to recognize how drunk he was.
     
     
    "While you now accept you were impaired at the time of the collision, you continue to minimize the severity by indicating that many of your behaviours and responses were the result of shock as much as they were due to alcohol consumption," it wrote.
     
     
    The Neville-Lake family has said it questions Muzzo's remorse in light of his statements and the fact that he sought parole at the first opportunity.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Heading To Court In Alberta To Stop Fuel Restriction Law, May Seek Damages

    B.C. Heading To Court In Alberta To Stop Fuel Restriction Law, May Seek Damages
    VICTORIA — Tensions over the Trans Mountain pipeline increased Thursday with British Columbia announcing plans to launch a lawsuit over new Alberta legislation that could restrict fuel exports to the West Coast.

    B.C. Heading To Court In Alberta To Stop Fuel Restriction Law, May Seek Damages

    Prices At The Pump Headed Higher As Long Weekend Brings Out Canadian Drivers

    Prices At The Pump Headed Higher As Long Weekend Brings Out Canadian Drivers
    CALGARY — Motorists in many parts of Canada are expected to see rising gasoline prices as they fire up their vehicles for road adventures on the Victoria Day long weekend.

    Prices At The Pump Headed Higher As Long Weekend Brings Out Canadian Drivers

    Arrested Taqdir Gill To Face Conspiracy And Weapons Charges

    Arrested Taqdir Gill To Face Conspiracy And Weapons Charges
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver police and British Columbia's integrated anti-gang agency say they have worked together to dismantle a "violent crime group."

    Arrested Taqdir Gill To Face Conspiracy And Weapons Charges

    Trans Mountain Pipeline Won't Cause Tension With Notley At Meeting: John Horgan

    Trans Mountain Pipeline Won't Cause Tension With Notley At Meeting: John Horgan
    LANGFORD, B.C. — The premiers of British Columbia and Alberta will join their counterparts from Western Canada at a meeting next week, but John Horgan doesn't expect any drama over the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.

    Trans Mountain Pipeline Won't Cause Tension With Notley At Meeting: John Horgan

    AMANJOT SINGH HANS, 31, Of Surrey Identified As Langley Langley Gas Station Shooting Victim

    AMANJOT SINGH HANS, 31, Of Surrey Identified As Langley Langley Gas Station Shooting Victim
    The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said 31-year-old Amanjot Singh Hans of Surrey was shot and killed in what appears to be a targeted attack.

    AMANJOT SINGH HANS, 31, Of Surrey Identified As Langley Langley Gas Station Shooting Victim

    Victim Of Richmond Homicide Identified As 42-Yr-Old Gregory Joseph Scuby

    Victim Of Richmond Homicide Identified As 42-Yr-Old Gregory Joseph Scuby
    A man has been found dead in Richmond, B.C., and homicide investigators have taken over the case.

    Victim Of Richmond Homicide Identified As 42-Yr-Old Gregory Joseph Scuby